Обсуждение: Re: file system level backup

Re: file system level backup

От
iztech
Дата:
On Jun 12, 6:31 am, iztech <rashan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i have just switched to posgresql and installed for use with ruby.
>
> i need to move my app and database to a new server. since i can shut
> down the server i think it will be easier for me to do a file system
> level back up.
>
> when i try to shut the server down i get this message
>
>  sudo -u postgres pg_ctl -D /opt/local/var/db/postgresql82/defaultdb
> stop
> pg_ctl: PID file "/opt/local/var/db/postgresql82/defaultdb/
can anyone let me know how i can tell where the db are located?

> postmaster.pid" does not exist
> Is server running?
>
> it is running.
>
> this is my first time attempting this. can someone suggest an easy
> tutorial on this.
>
> also...
> i have set up the new server with the same permissions so i should be
> able to move the db to the new location.
>
> total newbie

Re: file system level backup

От
Craig Ringer
iztech wrote:
> On Jun 12, 6:31 am, iztech <rashan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i have just switched to posgresql and installed for use with ruby.
>>
>> i need to move my app and database to a new server. since i can shut
>> down the server i think it will be easier for me to do a file system
>> level back up.

pg_dump and pg_restore should be just as good. If you're having trouble
manging postgresql they're probably a safer bet.

>> when i try to shut the server down i get this message
>>
>>  sudo -u postgres pg_ctl -D /opt/local/var/db/postgresql82/defaultdb
>> stop
>> pg_ctl: PID file "/opt/local/var/db/postgresql82/defaultdb/
> can anyone let me know how i can tell where the db are located?

You've left out some key information, like your operating system, OS
version, postgresql version, and how you installed postgresql.

In general you should use the OS init script if provided to start and
stop postgresql. With most packaged Pg installs you can find the data
directory by examining the data_directory parameter in postgresql.conf,
which will normally be in a 'postgresql' directory under /etc .

If you hand-installed it (which looks like the case based on your
command line, above) then you should really know where the data
directory is because you had to run initdb to create it.

The -D argument on the command line above is the path to your data
directory. It's not clear whether that command is just copied & pasted
from somewhere else, because I'm a bit confused as to why you'd be
asking where the data directory was if you understood that. Check
postgresql.conf to confirm that the -D argumenet above is actually correct.

>> this is my first time attempting this. can someone suggest an easy
>> tutorial on this.

If you're new to Pg, just get the packages for your operating system if
they're reasonably recent. You can then use the OS init scripts and
normal management tools to handle Pg.

>> i have set up the new server with the same permissions so i should be
>> able to move the db to the new location.

Maybe. The version must be the same except for the patchlevel, eg
"8.2.1" is compatible with "8.2.3" but not "8.3.1". In general it is
MUCH SAFER to just use pg_dump and pg_restore to migrate your data.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: file system level backup

От
iztech
Дата:
@craig

i am on mac os x 10.5 and i installed via macports using robby russel
pg install guide.

here is the initdb...

Init your new PostgreSQL database with: initdb -D pgdata
Start up PostgreSQL with: pg_ctl -D pgdata -l pgdata/psql.log start
Create a new database with: createdb argon_development
Test the new database with: psql argon_development
Did it load up your new database? If so, great! If not… check your
steps… :-)

so i read the pg manual and figured the db path should be what i tried
and then replace the path from another instruction.

which didn't work.

i also tried the tar db path and move it to the new location. that
worked but i think it changes the ownership. i did chown posgres
(user) on the folder, but i don't think it applies to the contents of
the folder. that could be my problem.

i will look at the .conf file and then try the pg_dump and pg_restore.

once you do a pg_dump will it leave the current db at it states. i was
concerned that it might do some damage and then my data would be
destroyed.

i also read about -o during pg_dump but frankly i didn't understand
it. yes, i am using foreign keys in ruby.

i really don't understand the 2nd half pg_restore, do you copy the
file and move it to the new server, if so where, before you run
pg_restore.

thanks.