Обсуждение: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi all,

Haven't delved into PG's rules system for a long time, but to me, this
newly granted Microsoft patent sounds pretty close:

   US Patent 7376668 - Dynamic filtering in a database system
   Issued on May 20, 2008
   http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7376668/claims.html

Abstract
"A dynamic filtering module receives a request to perform an operation
on data in the database and a input. The dynamic filtering module
provides as an output a modified request to a data access system. The
modified request can include one or more restrictions added to the
original request pertaining to which data will be accessed as a function
of the input."

Am I wrong in thinking that PG provides prior art here?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
Salasaga  -  Open Source eLearning IDE
               http://www.salasaga.org

Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  Tue, dem 27.05.2008, um 21:12:53 +1000 mailte Justin Clift folgendes:
> Hi all,
>
> Haven't delved into PG's rules system for a long time, but to me, this
> newly granted Microsoft patent sounds pretty close:
>
>   US Patent 7376668 - Dynamic filtering in a database system
>   Issued on May 20, 2008
>   http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7376668/claims.html
>
> Abstract
> "A dynamic filtering module receives a request to perform an operation
> on data in the database and a input. The dynamic filtering module
> provides as an output a modified request to a data access system. The
> modified request can include one or more restrictions added to the
> original request pertaining to which data will be accessed as a function
> of the input."
>
> Am I wrong in thinking that PG provides prior art here?

Hehe, yes. Typical M$. Similar to 7,376,970: (May 20, 2008)

Abstract
"A system, method, and computer readable medium for the proactive
detection of malware in operating systems that receive application
programming interface (API) calls is provided. A virtual operating
environment for simulating the execution of programs and determining if
the programs are malware is created. The virtual operating environment
confines potential malware so that the systems of the host operating
environment will not be adversely effected. During simulation, a
behavior signature is generated based on the API calls issued by
potential malware. The behavior signature is suitable for analysis to
determine whether the simulated executable is malware."

Sounds like a 'sandbox', see http://www.aladdin.com/eSafe/, available
since 1999 or so. (for instance)

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

От
"Jonathan Bond-Caron"
Дата:
The best patent ever filed:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn965-wheel-patented-in-australia.html

am  Tue, dem 27.05.2008, um 21:12:53 +1000 mailte Justin Clift folgendes:
> Hi all,
>
> Haven't delved into PG's rules system for a long time, but to me, this
> newly granted Microsoft patent sounds pretty close:
>
>   US Patent 7376668 - Dynamic filtering in a database system
>   Issued on May 20, 2008
>   http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7376668/claims.html
>
> Abstract
> "A dynamic filtering module receives a request to perform an operation
> on data in the database and a input. The dynamic filtering module
> provides as an output a modified request to a data access system. The
> modified request can include one or more restrictions added to the
> original request pertaining to which data will be accessed as a function
> of the input."
>
> Am I wrong in thinking that PG provides prior art here?

Hehe, yes. Typical M$. Similar to 7,376,970: (May 20, 2008)

Abstract
"A system, method, and computer readable medium for the proactive
detection of malware in operating systems that receive application
programming interface (API) calls is provided. A virtual operating
environment for simulating the execution of programs and determining if
the programs are malware is created. The virtual operating environment
confines potential malware so that the systems of the host operating
environment will not be adversely effected. During simulation, a
behavior signature is generated based on the API calls issued by
potential malware. The behavior signature is suitable for analysis to
determine whether the simulated executable is malware."

Sounds like a 'sandbox', see http://www.aladdin.com/eSafe/, available
since 1999 or so. (for instance)

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Jonathan Bond-Caron wrote:
> The best patent ever filed:
>
> http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn965-wheel-patented-in-australia.html

Errr, you miss my point.

Those are (kind of) abstract examples.  ;->

I'm trying to point out that - PG is a database system - and MS may have
just been granted a patent for a fundamental part of it.

Thinking it might need looking in to, and trying to bring it to the
attention of some that can (or even cares?). ;>

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
Salasaga  -  Open Source eLearning IDE
               http://www.salasaga.org

Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
HI Justin

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Justin Clift <justin@salasaga.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to point out that - PG is a database system - and MS may have
> just been granted a patent for a fundamental part of it.
>
> Thinking it might need looking in to, and trying to bring it to the
> attention of some that can (or even cares?). ;>

I don't think it's a major issue. Even if MS do think we infringe on
the patent it would be laughable for them to try to do anything about
it given that our rules implementation has provably existed in a
leading FOSS project for a decade or more.

--
Dave Page

Dave Page wrote:
> HI Justin
>
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Justin Clift <justin@salasaga.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to point out that - PG is a database system - and MS may have
>> just been granted a patent for a fundamental part of it.
>>
>> Thinking it might need looking in to, and trying to bring it to the
>> attention of some that can (or even cares?). ;>
>
> I don't think it's a major issue. Even if MS do think we infringe on
> the patent it would be laughable for them to try to do anything about
> it given that our rules implementation has provably existed in a
> leading FOSS project for a decade or more.

Yep, sounds about right.  Not being a patent-attorney though, I thought
it better to mention than not. ;)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
Salasaga  -  Open Source eLearning IDE
               http://www.salasaga.org

Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

От
Justin
Dave Page wrote:
HI Justin

I don't think it's a major issue. Even if MS do think we infringe on
the patent it would be laughable for them to try to do anything about
it given that our rules implementation has provably existed in a
leading FOSS project for a decade or more.

Having been involved in lawsuits, i wish it was a laughing manner.  Thinking a patent is unenforceable is dangerous thinking.  MS could target the leaders of the community along with the corporate sponsors.   This group of people may just give up because the process of defending is so expensive.  Even if we are 100% right it don't matter as it  takes 10's to thousands of dollars to just start fighting.   this bill would go into 100 thousands in a matter of months.

I have some personal experience with this when fighting a bigger foe that don't have to worry about money
Right now my family has been in a continuous legal battle with our local government  over loans its been trying to secure based on false evidence which would put tax payers in our small community 8,000 people on the hook for  1.5 million .  We have won every battle and point.  The Problem now is the amount of money we have put forward greatly exceeds any personal benefit or keeping taxes low the family would ever see for the next 20 years.  We are only 2 years in fighting this and the next election is not for another 2 years :-(  which i may run again .

Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Justin <justin@emproshunts.com> wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>
> Having been involved in lawsuits, i wish it was a laughing manner.  Thinking
> a patent is unenforceable is dangerous thinking.  MS could target the
> leaders of the community along with the corporate sponsors.

Well as one of those people, working for one of those companies, I'm
not going to lose any sleep over it. The fact is that Microsoft do
have vaguely sane lawyers and I have little doubt they would do some
elementary research before trying to claim that  our 10 year old
(probably much older in fact, as I believe there was a rules system in
the code inherited from Berkley) feature infringes their 2 year old
patent. Whilst it is true it could get expensive if they did try, I
don't believe they will as they would ultimately end up with egg on
their faces and would likely cost them real money and be the cause of
significant bad press.

--
Dave Page

Dave Page wrote:
Having been involved in lawsuits, i wish it was a laughing manner.  Thinking
a patent is unenforceable is dangerous thinking.  MS could target the
leaders of the community along with the corporate sponsors.
Well as one of those people, working for one of those companies, I'm
not going to lose any sleep over it. The fact is that Microsoft do
have vaguely sane lawyers and I have little doubt they would do some
elementary research before trying to claim that  our 10 year old
(probably much older in fact, as I believe there was a rules system in
the code inherited from Berkley) feature infringes their 2 year old
patent. Whilst it is true it could get expensive if they did try, I
don't believe they will as they would ultimately end up with egg on
their faces and would likely cost them real money and be the cause of
significant bad press.

I'm not losing any sleep over it either and you may be very right.  But don't bet on the side intelligent/logical thinking to coming out of a lawyer who's on retainer to a big corporation like MS.  Postgresql is luck in the fact US patent laws are still based on the idea first to invent not first to patent which several countries have gone to.

Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

Дата:
"Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Justin Clift <justin@salasaga.org> wrote:
>> I'm trying to point out that - PG is a database system - and MS may have
>> just been granted a patent for a fundamental part of it.

> I don't think it's a major issue. Even if MS do think we infringe on
> the patent it would be laughable for them to try to do anything about
> it given that our rules implementation has provably existed in a
> leading FOSS project for a decade or more.

Right --- if in fact PG's rules infringe, then the patent is invalid
because we are prior art.

After scanning the claims, though, most of this is about access-rights
enforcement; which is something that rules *could* be used for but it's
not their sole or main purpose.  What it seems a whole lot closer to
is Veil or SEPostgres.  I think those projects have reason to be very
afraid.

In fact, I suspect that the originally submitted version of SEPostgres
does infringe the patent, and that code is not old enough to be prior
art.  The part of the patch that looks like this patent to me is the
part that enforces row-level access checks by adding constraints to a
querytree's WHERE clause.

I had already suggested to KaiGai-san that he get rid of that in favor
of low-level checks in the executor, but the need to avoid an M$ patent
makes it even more important ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 02:18:31PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:

> I don't think it's a major issue. Even if MS do think we infringe on
> the patent it would be laughable for them to try to do anything about
> it given that our rules implementation has provably existed in a
> leading FOSS project for a decade or more.

Unfortuately, it would only be laughable until they sued someone (or,
more likely, threatened to do) who was selling PosrgreSQL.

The problem in such cases is that proving your obvious prior art is an
expensive undertaking.  The likely path for a targeted "infringer" is
just to give up and either pay something to MS or else use some other
engine that doesn't "infringe".

This is exactly the sort of nonsense that causes people to think the
US PTO is just completely broken.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:38:42AM -0400, Justin wrote:
> Postgresql is
> luck in the fact US patent laws are still based on the idea first to
> invent not first to patent which several countries have gone to.

Which has nothing to do with the matter at hand. It just means that MS
can claim to have invented it up to a year prior to filing which would
be problematic if the SE-Postgres patch is affected.

The rules system is way older and so not at risk either way.

Have a nice day,

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
I don't think it's a major issue. Even if MS do think we infringe on
the patent it would be laughable for them to try to do anything about
it given that our rules implementation has provably existed in a
leading FOSS project for a decade or more.
Unfortuately, it would only be laughable until they sued someone (or,
more likely, threatened to do) who was selling PosrgreSQL.

The problem in such cases is that proving your obvious prior art is an
expensive undertaking.  The likely path for a targeted "infringer" is
just to give up and either pay something to MS or else use some other
engine that doesn't "infringe".

This is exactly the sort of nonsense that causes people to think the
US PTO is just completely broken.

Yes completely agree.   The prospect of fighting is daunting, desire to run for the hills more desirable

We could start the objecting process instead waiting for MS to come after us.  Anybody want to relive the Blackberry nightmare?
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/patent/p-other/p-object.htm

What Tome Lane brought up could be a very big concern, but if the developers of said code new nothing about the patent and never used MS products then its an independent invention.  But proving that is very costly

Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

От
Justin
Дата:
Here is the US patent offices website to
i copy and pasted the wrong link. opps
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/bpai/index.html

Justin wrote:

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
[...]

KaiGai Kohei
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Justin Clift <justin@salasaga.org> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to point out that - PG is a database system - and MS may have
>>> just been granted a patent for a fundamental part of it.
>
>> I don't think it's a major issue. Even if MS do think we infringe on
>> the patent it would be laughable for them to try to do anything about
>> it given that our rules implementation has provably existed in a
>> leading FOSS project for a decade or more.
>
> Right --- if in fact PG's rules infringe, then the patent is invalid
> because we are prior art.
>
> After scanning the claims, though, most of this is about access-rights
> enforcement; which is something that rules *could* be used for but it's
> not their sole or main purpose.  What it seems a whole lot closer to
> is Veil or SEPostgres.  I think those projects have reason to be very
> afraid.
>
> In fact, I suspect that the originally submitted version of SEPostgres
> does infringe the patent, and that code is not old enough to be prior
> art.  The part of the patch that looks like this patent to me is the
> part that enforces row-level access checks by adding constraints to a
> querytree's WHERE clause.
>
> I had already suggested to KaiGai-san that he get rid of that in favor
> of low-level checks in the executor, but the need to avoid an M$ patent
> makes it even more important ...

Yes, I've changed the originally submitted version of SE-PostgreSQL.
The latest version of its implementation does not have any feature
to modify given queries. All of low-level checks are moved to hard
wired hooks in ExecScan().

http://code.google.com/p/sepgsql/source/browse/trunk/sepgsql/src/backend/executor/execScan.c#144

BTW, I may have to backport the feature for v8.4 into v8.3/v8.2
based SE-PostgreSQL... :(
--
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp>

KaiGai Kohei wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:

[...]

 I sent an email to US PTO asking the process to protest an already given patent to for profit entity where there may be prior art from a non-for profit entity

here the represent
For technical patent inquiries, you may contact the USPTO Contact Center (UCC) at 1-800- 786-9199  or 571-272-1000 and request to be transferred to the Inventors Assistance Center (IAC).  IAC representatives are available Monday through Friday (except Federal holidays) from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time.

Protests by a member of the public against pending applications will be referred to the examiner having charge of the subject matter involved.  A protest specifically identifying the application to which the protest is directed will be entered in the application file if: (1) The protest is submitted prior to the mailing of a notice of allowance under rule 1.311; and (2) The protest is either served upon the applicant in accordance with rule 1.248, or filed with the Office in duplicate in the event service is not possible.

For more detailed information on protesting a patent, you may visit our Web site at http://www.uspto.gov/main/patents.htm for the Manual of Patent Examining Procedures (MPEP).

If you have any further questions or if you require additional information, please call the USPTO Contact Center at 1-800-786-9199 or (571) 272-1000 and reference the following Service Request number: 1-122580212

[THREAD ID:1-20YTHO]