Обсуждение: Error: Could not open relation...

Error: Could not open relation...

От
Howard Cole
Дата:
Can anyone give me a hint how to trace the cause of this error message
in the error log:

ERROR could not open relation 1663/20146/128342: Permission Denied

Running 8.2.7 on W2K3.

Thanks.

Howard Cole.
www.selestial.com

Re: Error: Could not open relation...

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 00:08 +0100, Howard Cole wrote:
> Can anyone give me a hint how to trace the cause of this error message
> in the error log:
>
> ERROR could not open relation 1663/20146/128342: Permission Denied
>
> Running 8.2.7 on W2K3.

Looks like someone or something changed the permissions on the
postgresql folders or files.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks.
>
> Howard Cole.
> www.selestial.com

Re: Error: Could not open relation...

От
Howard Cole
Дата:
> Looks like someone or something changed the permissions on the
> postgresql folders or files.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

I've had a look at this file, and postgres has "Full Control".
Howard

Re: Error: Could not open relation...

От
Howard Cole
Дата:
Howard Cole wrote:

>> Looks like someone or something changed the permissions on the
>> postgresql folders or files.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake
>>

> I've had a look at this file, and postgres has "Full Control".
> Howard

Further, the system works fine normally. The permissions error appears
to be an isolated error. Is it possible that this error means something
else?

Are there likely to be serious integrety implications if Postgres failed
to access/write to this table for whatever reason, or would the
transaction be rolled back.

Re: Error: Could not open relation...

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On Friday 23 May 2008 6:02 am, Howard Cole wrote:
> Howard Cole wrote:
> >> Looks like someone or something changed the permissions on the
> >> postgresql folders or files.
> >>
> >> Sincerely,
> >>
> >> Joshua D. Drake
> >
> > I've had a look at this file, and postgres has "Full Control".
> > Howard
>
> Further, the system works fine normally. The permissions error appears
> to be an isolated error. Is it possible that this error means something
> else?
>
> Are there likely to be serious integrety implications if Postgres failed
> to access/write to this table for whatever reason, or would the
> transaction be rolled back.

Previous reports of this type of intermittent behavior on Windows have been
traced back to AV software.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net

Re: Error: Could not open relation...

От
Howard Cole
Дата:
Howard Cole wrote:
Looks like someone or something changed the permissions on the
postgresql folders or files.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
I've had a look at this file, and postgres has "Full Control".
Howard
Further, the system works fine normally. The permissions error appears
to be an isolated error. Is it possible that this error means something
else?

Are there likely to be serious integrety implications if Postgres failed
to access/write to this table for whatever reason, or would the
transaction be rolled back.
Previous reports of this type of intermittent behavior on Windows have been
traced back to AV software.

The server does run NOD32 AV but it is switched off for the data directory. Is there a possibility that file system errors can be reported if there is a heavy load on the file system? The server also runs as a file server.

Re: Error: Could not open relation...

От
Gregory Stark
Дата:
"Howard Cole" <howardnews@selestial.com> writes:

> Are there likely to be serious integrety implications if Postgres failed to
> access/write to this table for whatever reason, or would the transaction be
> rolled back.

The command would get an error and the transaction rolled back. I would be
more concerned about integrity issues if you started having the same error
with something like an xlog WAL file though.

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: Error: Could not open relation...

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Howard Cole wrote:
> Adrian Klaver wrote:

> >> Further, the system works fine normally. The permissions error
> >> appears to be an isolated error. Is it possible that this error
> >> means something else?
> >>
> >> Are there likely to be serious integrety implications if Postgres
> >> failed to access/write to this table for whatever reason, or would
> >> the transaction be rolled back.
> >>

> > Previous reports of this type of intermittent behavior on Windows
> > have been traced back to AV software.
> >

> The server does run NOD32 AV but it is switched off for the data
> directory. Is there a possibility that file system errors can be
> reported if there is a heavy load on the file system? The server also
> runs as a file server.

NOD32 is known to cause problems (at least with some versions) even
when it's switched off. Try completely uninstalling it to get rid of
the filter driver and see if that removes your problems.

//Magnus