Обсуждение: Is autovacuum on?

Is autovacuum on?

От
"Blair Bethwaite"
Дата:
Hi all,

I've just upgraded to 8.3 and am looking at using autovacuum. We have
a long running application with high update frequency that
periodically issues vacuum commands itself. I'd like to be able to add
code to the app like:
if pg.autovacuum == "on":
    self.routine_vacuuming = False
else:
    self.routine_vacuuming = True
so that we can avoid manually issuing vacuum commands at sites where
Postgresql is running autovacuum.
But so far I haven't been able to find a way for a non-privileged user
to query the autovacuum status, is this possible?

Also, the routine-vacuuming section of the manual states that the
purpose of the autovacuum daemon is to periodically issue VACUUM and
ANALYZE commands - am I correct in thinking this implies that it will
not issue VACUUM FULL commands?

Cheers,
-Blair

--
In science one tries to tell people, in such a way
as to be understood by everyone, something that

Re: Is autovacuum on?

От
"Filip Rembiałkowski"
Дата:
2008/3/18, Blair Bethwaite <blair.bethwaite@infotech.monash.edu.au>:
> Hi all,
>
>  I've just upgraded to 8.3 and am looking at using autovacuum. We have
>  a long running application with high update frequency that
>  periodically issues vacuum commands itself. I'd like to be able to add
>  code to the app like:
>  if pg.autovacuum == "on":
>     self.routine_vacuuming = False
>  else:
>     self.routine_vacuuming = True
>  so that we can avoid manually issuing vacuum commands at sites where
>  Postgresql is running autovacuum.
>  But so far I haven't been able to find a way for a non-privileged user
>  to query the autovacuum status, is this possible?

yes.
select setting from pg_settings where name = 'autovacuum';

>  Also, the routine-vacuuming section of the manual states that the
>  purpose of the autovacuum daemon is to periodically issue VACUUM and
>  ANALYZE commands - am I correct in thinking this implies that it will
>  not issue VACUUM FULL commands?

Yes, you're correct.

--
Filip Rembiałkowski

Re: Is autovacuum on?

От
"Blair Bethwaite"
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Filip Rembiałkowski
<plk.zuber@gmail.com> wrote:
>  yes.
>  select setting from pg_settings where name = 'autovacuum';

Ah ha, thankyou! I assumed there must have been a view for the
settings, I guess I missed it when I looked at the various pg_* views.

Cheers,
-Blair

--
In science one tries to tell people, in such a way
as to be understood by everyone, something that
no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the
exact opposite.
 - Paul Dirac

Re: Is autovacuum on?

От
Erik Jones
Дата:
On Mar 17, 2008, at 11:25 PM, Blair Bethwaite wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Filip Rembiałkowski
> <plk.zuber@gmail.com> wrote:
>> yes.
>> select setting from pg_settings where name = 'autovacuum';
>
> Ah ha, thankyou! I assumed there must have been a view for the
> settings, I guess I missed it when I looked at the various pg_* views.

Or, a simple:

SHOW autovacuum;

will to the trick. http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-show.html

Erik Jones