Обсуждение: PostgreSQL-installation-problem on Windows XP Home edition

PostgreSQL-installation-problem on Windows XP Home edition

От
Jan Christensen
Дата:
Dear Sirs.

I have a problem with installing PostgreSQL 8.3 on my computer
with Windows XP Home edition and AVG FREE antivirus 7.5.

The installation-program asks for a installing-language and to save
the installation-process in a logfile. When I choose English and press
the button "Start", the installation-program writes the message
"Prepare to install" in a short period, and after that nothing is happening.

What is wrong ???

I enclose the logfile.

My e-mail-address is : janchristensen23022005@yahoo.dk

I hope to hear from you.

Best regards.

Jan Christensen

Find din nye laptop på kelkoo.dk. Se de gode tilbud her!
Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL-installation-problem on Windows XP Home edition

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Jan Christensen wrote:
> Dear Sirs.
>
>   I have a problem with installing PostgreSQL 8.3 on my computer
>   with Windows XP Home edition and AVG FREE antivirus 7.5.
>
>   The installation-program asks for a installing-language and to save
>   the installation-process in a logfile. When I choose English and press
>   the button "Start", the installation-program writes the message
>   "Prepare to install" in a short period, and after that nothing is happening.
>
>   What is wrong ???
>
>   I enclose the logfile.

The error seems to be this:

DEBUG: Error 2769:  Custom Action GetAvailableLocales did not close 1
MSIHANDLEs.
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this
package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code
is 2769. The argumens are: GetAvailableLocales, 1,
Action ended 14:20:50: GetAvailableLocales. Return value 1.

I'm guessing that you're missing some of the locale (language) files for
  your machine. Have you got anything unusual selected in your language
settings?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: PostgreSQL-installation-problem on Windows XP Home edition

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 02:41:09PM +0000, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Jan Christensen wrote:
> >Dear Sirs.
> >
> >  I have a problem with installing PostgreSQL 8.3 on my computer
> >  with Windows XP Home edition and AVG FREE antivirus 7.5.
> >
> >  The installation-program asks for a installing-language and to save
> >  the installation-process in a logfile. When I choose English and press
> >  the button "Start", the installation-program writes the message
> >  "Prepare to install" in a short period, and after that nothing is
> >  happening.
> >
> >  What is wrong ???
> >
> >  I enclose the logfile.
>
> The error seems to be this:
>
> DEBUG: Error 2769:  Custom Action GetAvailableLocales did not close 1
> MSIHANDLEs.
> The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this
> package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code
> is 2769. The argumens are: GetAvailableLocales, 1,
> Action ended 14:20:50: GetAvailableLocales. Return value 1.
>
> I'm guessing that you're missing some of the locale (language) files for
>  your machine. Have you got anything unusual selected in your language
> settings?

That's not actually the error. That happens everywhere :-(

For some reason I couldn't view that logfile at all, but look for something
that started and never finished. This one has the "Action ended" statement
for GetAvailableLocales, my guess is that there is something further down
that has a start but no end.

(And for the record, we do close all the MSIHANDLEs, that's an API bug at
some point)

//Magnus

Re: PostgreSQL-installation-problem on Windows XP Home edition

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 02:41:09PM +0000, Richard Huxton wrote:
>> I'm guessing that you're missing some of the locale (language) files for
>>  your machine. Have you got anything unusual selected in your language
>> settings?
>
> That's not actually the error. That happens everywhere :-(

Ah - it was near the end of the file, and the only error I could see.

> For some reason I couldn't view that logfile at all,

I had that - I'm guessing there are high-bit chars that shouldn't be
there. Didn't stop vi though :-)

 > but look for something
> that started and never finished. This one has the "Action ended" statement
> for GetAvailableLocales, my guess is that there is something further down
> that has a start but no end.

This is the end of the file. The only un-ended action I can find is
CheckAvailable DLLs

MSI (c) (A4:AC): Doing action: LaunchConditions
Action start 14:20:50: LaunchConditions.
Action ended 14:20:50: LaunchConditions. Return value 1.
MSI (c) (A4:AC): Doing action: CheckAvailableDLLs
Action start 14:20:50: CheckAvailableDLLs.
MSI (c) (A4:AC): Creating MSIHANDLE (164) of type 790542 for thread 2988

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: PostgreSQL-installation-problem on Windows XP Home edition

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 02:58:22PM +0000, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 02:41:09PM +0000, Richard Huxton wrote:
> >>I'm guessing that you're missing some of the locale (language) files for
> >> your machine. Have you got anything unusual selected in your language
> >>settings?
> >
> >That's not actually the error. That happens everywhere :-(
>
> Ah - it was near the end of the file, and the only error I could see.
>
> >For some reason I couldn't view that logfile at all,
>
> I had that - I'm guessing there are high-bit chars that shouldn't be
> there. Didn't stop vi though :-)

It stopped my vi :-(

> > but look for something
> >that started and never finished. This one has the "Action ended" statement
> >for GetAvailableLocales, my guess is that there is something further down
> >that has a start but no end.
>
> This is the end of the file. The only un-ended action I can find is
> CheckAvailable DLLs
>
> MSI (c) (A4:AC): Doing action: LaunchConditions
> Action start 14:20:50: LaunchConditions.
> Action ended 14:20:50: LaunchConditions. Return value 1.
> MSI (c) (A4:AC): Doing action: CheckAvailableDLLs
> Action start 14:20:50: CheckAvailableDLLs.
> MSI (c) (A4:AC): Creating MSIHANDLE (164) of type 790542 for thread 2988

Ok, that's a known issue. See:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_windows.html#3.1

particularly the part about cygwin - that's most often the case. But the
other parts also apply.

//Magnus