Обсуждение: ...

serafin segador

hello list,

i am a newbie in postgresql.

i ported a small application to postgresql 8.2 originally written to store data in maxdb.  since stored procedures are not supported in postgresql and since postgresql functions cannot return cursor to the calling applications, i rewrote the maxdb stored procedures into functions that store rows in temp tables and return the temp table name to the application ( saves on coding the select string in the application) , and retrieve the rows from the temp table within the same session.  this i can no longer do after upgrading to 8.3.  is there any thing i can do to restore this functionality i can get in 8.2, like configuration tweaking, apart from recoding the select string in the application.

regards and any help is highly appreciated,

raffy segador

Re:

Дата:
serafin segador <rsegador@yahoo.com> writes:
> i ported a small application to postgresql 8.2 originally written to store data in maxdb.  since stored procedures
arenot supported in postgresql and since postgresql functions cannot return cursor to the calling applications, i
rewrotethe maxdb stored procedures into functions that store rows in temp tables and return the temp table name to the
application( saves on coding the select string in the application) , and retrieve the rows from the temp table within
thesame session.  this i can no longer do after upgrading to 8.3.  is there any thing i can do to restore this
functionalityi can get in 8.2, like configuration tweaking, apart from recoding the select string in the application.

Er ... say what?

> stored procedures are not supported in postgresql

This is a false statement, unless perhaps for a very narrow definition
of "stored procedure", which you didn't specify.

> and since postgresql functions cannot return cursor to the
> calling applications,

Likewise a false statement.

> i rewrote the maxdb stored procedures into
> functions that store rows in temp tables and return the temp table
> name to the application ( saves on coding the select string in the
> application) , and retrieve the rows from the temp table within the
> same session.  this i can no longer do after upgrading to 8.3.

I do not know any reason why a feature in this vicinity would have
disappeared in 8.3.

If you want help, you need to be a lot more specific about exactly what
you did and exactly what failure you saw.  And a bit less FUD-spouting
would probably make people more inclined to assist you.

            regards, tom lane

Re:

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Feb 19, 2008 11:39 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> > and since postgresql functions cannot return cursor to the
> > calling applications,
>
> Likewise a false statement.

Yeah, I remembered there being a section on returning cursors.  I went
to the docs page and seached, and found it here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-cursors.html
section 38.7.3.5.  But then I go to the index page for plpgsql at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql.html and there are
only entries for 38.7.5.1 through 3...

Is there some problem with the doc rendering going on here?  Pic of
what I'm seeing attached.

Вложения

Re:

От
Jorge Godoy
Дата:
Em Wednesday 20 February 2008 03:56:37 Scott Marlowe escreveu:
> On Feb 19, 2008 11:39 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-cursors.html
> section 38.7.3.5.  But then I go to the index page for plpgsql at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql.html and there are
> only entries for 38.7.5.1 through 3...
>
> Is there some problem with the doc rendering going on here?  Pic of
> what I'm seeing attached.

I believe that to save "space" just two levels of the index are being shown.
Maybe the titles should allow guessing the contents better...  Or maybe some
items should be promoted to an upper level :-)

It is very uncommon to go up to the latest level of an index in a summary.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>

Re:

Дата:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2008 11:39 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > > and since postgresql functions cannot return cursor to the
> > > calling applications,
> >
> > Likewise a false statement.
>
> Yeah, I remembered there being a section on returning cursors.  I went
> to the docs page and seached, and found it here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-cursors.html
> section 38.7.3.5.  But then I go to the index page for plpgsql at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql.html and there are
> only entries for 38.7.5.1 through 3...

You mean you only see 38.7.3 but 38.7.3.5 is there but just not listed
at that level of detail.