Обсуждение: Postgres with daemontools or similar

Postgres with daemontools or similar

От
"Chuck D."
Дата:
Greetings everyone.

I would like to know what the correct position is on the use of Postgres with
DJB's daemontools or other monitoring prgrams?

I tried to set it up the other day and was successful in getting it to start
and log, and even refresh the config files, but I could not get it to
shutdown.

I have to assume (although possibly incorrectly) that because I was using
Apache and PHP with persistent Postgres connections, that the problem I was
seeing (via svstat, ps) was those connections refusing to shut down,
primarily because I could see no facility to include the -m fast switch and
option.

So before I go tackling this any further, is monitoring Postgres with
daemontools even a good idea?  It sounds good but I have concerns how it
would handle a computer shutdown.  I'm also concerned that without a method
to notify me, it could shutdown and restart a thousand times an hour and I
would never know if there was an issue.  I was also looking into monit.

What is the best way to monitor the postmaster and notify or restart on
problems?  What solutions have other SysAdmin's incorporated successfully?

Re: Postgres with daemontools or similar

От
"Andrej Ricnik-Bay"
Дата:
On 05/02/2008, Chuck D. <pgsql-list@nullmx.com> wrote:

> would never know if there was an issue.  I was also looking into monit.
I don't know what others recommend, but I'd be violently opposed to
the automatic re-starting for the very reason you mention above.
Monitoring it via monit, nagios or which other tools you have at hand
sounds very sensible to me, and I'd go with that for sure.

> What is the best way to monitor the postmaster and notify or restart on
> problems?  What solutions have other SysAdmin's incorporated successfully?
Nagios here, with e-Mail and pager alerts.  Monitoring the postmasters
presence and the ability to connect to 5432 ....

Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.