Обсуждение: Alternative to tableoids?

Alternative to tableoids?

От
"fkater@googlemail.com"
Дата:
Hi,

what's an alternative to tableoids?

As I've learned today they are not consistant across pg_dump/restore.

I need to point to (lots of dynamically added) tables and used tableoids
before.

Are there other solutions to point to tables besides using tableoids
or wasting disk space using the strings of 'schema' and 'tablename'
everywhere as a reference?

And hints welcome :-)

Felix

Re: Alternative to tableoids?

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
fkater@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what's an alternative to tableoids?
>
> As I've learned today they are not consistant across pg_dump/restore.
>
> I need to point to (lots of dynamically added) tables and used tableoids
> before.
>
> Are there other solutions to point to tables besides using tableoids
> or wasting disk space using the strings of 'schema' and 'tablename'
> everywhere as a reference?

Are you seriously saying that you have so many tables that storing their
names is a problem?

Anyway, since your code is expecting something that looks like an OID,
why not just build your own, something like:

CREATE TABLE my_sys_object_tracker (
   objoid    SERIAL,
   objschema name NOT NULL,
   objname   name NOT NULL,

   PRIMARY KEY (objoid),
   CONSTRAINT unique_obj_name UNIQUE (objschema, objname)
);

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Alternative to tableoids?

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:12:51PM +0100, fkater@googlemail.com wrote:
> what's an alternative to tableoids?
>
> As I've learned today they are not consistant across pg_dump/restore.
>
> I need to point to (lots of dynamically added) tables and used tableoids
> before.
>
> Are there other solutions to point to tables besides using tableoids
> or wasting disk space using the strings of 'schema' and 'tablename'
> everywhere as a reference?

Use regclass, takes the same space as OIDs but works across
dump/restore. For tables anyway (not indexes etc al)

Have a nice day,
> Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
>  -- John F Kennedy

Вложения