Обсуждение: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] query postgres AND oracle

[UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] query postgres AND oracle

От
"John Smith"
Дата:
guys,
i got geometry in postgres, some other data in oracle. is it possible
to filter postgres geometry based on oracle data (without using
services)?
cheers, jzs

Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] query postgres AND oracle

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Jan 31, 2008 1:38 PM, John Smith <jayzee.smith@gmail.com> wrote:
> guys,
> i got geometry in postgres, some other data in oracle. is it possible
> to filter postgres geometry based on oracle data (without using
> services)?

You either import the data from oracle to pgsql and let the db do it
(fastest), use some form of dbilink to cross query to the oracle
database (slower), or you do it in the application (usually slowest)

My recommendation is to write some kind of simple script to import the
data from oracle and keep it up to date, especially if it's not real
high volume.

Explaining more about your particular problem will get better answers.

Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] query postgres AND oracle

От
"John Smith"
Дата:
thanks. thought dbi-link could only connect across postgres databases,
didn't realize it can connect postgres AND oracle. will look into it.
jzs

On 1/31/08, Chander Ganesan <chander@otg-nc.com> wrote:

>  John Smith wrote:
>  guys,
> i got geometry in postgres, some other data in oracle. is it possible
> to filter postgres geometry based on oracle data (without using
> services)?
> cheers, jzs
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>
>  Have you looked at http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/
> ?
>  --
> Chander Ganesan
> Open Technology Group, Inc.
> One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
> Morrisville, NC 27560
> Phone: 877-258-8987/919-463-0999
> http://www.otg-nc.com

Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] query postgres AND oracle

Дата:
"John Smith" <jayzee.smith@gmail.com> writes:
> thanks. thought dbi-link could only connect across postgres databases,
> didn't realize it can connect postgres AND oracle. will look into it.

No, you're confusing it with dblink, which is Postgres-specific.
dbi-link relies on the Perl DBI layer, so it should be able to talk
to anything for which you can find a DBD driver.  It's a completely
different programming model though, and doesn't expose as much
flexibility as dblink does.

            regards, tom lane