Обсуждение: Connection idle broken

Connection idle broken

От
Fernando Xavier
Дата:
Hi,

I have trouble with my  java application. Since i change the network configuration, the postgresql idle connections
brokenafter 10 minutes. (i set authentication_timeout = 600 in postgresql.conf).

My network:

192.168.1.1 (postgresql server and gateway server)
192.168.0.1 (linksys wireless router)
192.168.0.x (clients)

How i make my idle connections alive for long time?

Any idea?

Regards,

Fernando

http://br.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Connection idle broken

От
"Douglas McNaught"
Дата:
I have trouble with my  java application. Since i change the network configuration, the postgresql idle connections broken after 10 minutes. (i set authentication_timeout = 600 in postgresql.conf).

My network:

192.168.1.1 (postgresql server and gateway server)
192.168.0.1 (linksys wireless router)
192.168.0.x (clients)

How i make my idle connections alive for long time?

Is the Linksys doing NAT?  Can you configure it with a longer timeout on inactive connections?

-Doug

Any idea?

Regards,

Fernando

http://br.mail.yahoo.com/

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Connection idle broken

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Nov 27, 2007 8:33 AM, Fernando Xavier <fernandoxavier@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have trouble with my  java application. Since i change the network configuration, the postgresql idle connections
brokenafter 10 minutes. (i set authentication_timeout = 600 in postgresql.conf).

> My network:
>
> 192.168.1.1 (postgresql server and gateway server)
> 192.168.0.1 (linksys wireless router)
> 192.168.0.x (clients)
>
> How i make my idle connections alive for long time?

You can try lowering your tcp_keepalive settings.

Re: Connection idle broken

От
"Douglas McNaught"
Дата:
On 11/27/07, Fernando Xavier <fernandoxavier@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, thanks for reply!
>
> No, my router don't have configurations for timeout connections..

Get a better router then. Something between your clients and the
database server is timing out those connections, and it's most likely
that box--NAT connections are timed out fairly aggressively by default
on consumer routers (you didn't say whether you were using NAT or not,
but it may be turned on by default).  Relying on anything labeled
"Linksys" for production work is a terrible idea.

Also, please keep your replies on the mailing list so others can
benefit from the discussion.

-Doug

Re: Connection idle broken

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Nov 27, 2007 12:33 PM, Douglas McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> wrote:

> Get a better router then. Something between your clients and the
> database server is timing out those connections, and it's most likely
> that box--NAT connections are timed out fairly aggressively by default
> on consumer routers (you didn't say whether you were using NAT or not,
> but it may be turned on by default).  Relying on anything labeled
> "Linksys" for production work is a terrible idea.

Actually, if you use the linux based ones, or download dd-wrt or
openwrt and install that, the linksys routers are quite stable,
reliable, and performant.

Myself, I prefer the pre-installed buffalo router that DD-WRT ships,
but the software they make is quite amazing.

Re: Connection idle broken

От
"Douglas McNaught"
Дата:
On 11/27/07, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007 12:33 PM, Douglas McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> wrote:

> > Get a better router then. Something between your clients and the
> > database server is timing out those connections, and it's most likely
> > that box--NAT connections are timed out fairly aggressively by default
> > on consumer routers (you didn't say whether you were using NAT or not,
> > but it may be turned on by default).  Relying on anything labeled
> > "Linksys" for production work is a terrible idea.
>
> Actually, if you use the linux based ones, or download dd-wrt or
> openwrt and install that, the linksys routers are quite stable,
> reliable, and performant.

I'm sure they are.  Custom software helps a lot.  :)

That said, my definition of "production" doesn't include hardware
that's built as cheaply as possible for the consumer market.  Others
may differ, and the OPs need may very well be satisfied by a custom
software load on a cheap consumer router.

Re: Connection idle broken

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Nov 27, 2007 12:50 PM, Douglas McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> wrote:
> On 11/27/07, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Actually, if you use the linux based ones, or download dd-wrt or
> > openwrt and install that, the linksys routers are quite stable,
> > reliable, and performant.
>
> I'm sure they are.  Custom software helps a lot.  :)
>
> That said, my definition of "production" doesn't include hardware
> that's built as cheaply as possible for the consumer market.  Others
> may differ, and the OPs need may very well be satisfied by a custom
> software load on a cheap consumer router.

Well, if I had a choice between a single internet connection on a big
cisco, and a dual connect through a sonet ring through a pair of
buffalo consumer grade routers with dd-wrt, I'd take the sonet ring.

Course, we'd all rather have both the sonet ring and the big
commercial routers...

(am seriously amazed how many 24/7 ops are out there running with a
sonet ring into the building that turns into a single point of failure
after that.   )