Обсуждение: Migrating from 32 to 64 bit

Migrating from 32 to 64 bit

От
Laurent CARON
Дата:
Hi,

I'm currently setting up 2 new servers to act as a PgSQL cluster (8.2).

This basically consists in the reinstallation of the OS (64Bit).

Question:
I'd like to know if it is possible (and wise) to just keep the
/var/lib/postgres...... directories from the old 32Bit server to use on
the 64Bit version.

This is just as a personal interest since I can also just dump and
restore the database in about 2.5 hrs.

Thanks

Laurent

Re: Migrating from 32 to 64 bit

От
Laurent CARON
Дата:
Douglas McNaught wrote:
> Nope, not possible--different architectures result in different data layouts.
>
> Dump & restore is the way to go.

Thanks,

I'll then dump/restore.

Laurent

Re: Migrating from 32 to 64 bit

От
Vivek Khera
Дата:
On Nov 24, 2007, at 6:18 PM, Laurent CARON wrote:

> Question:
> I'd like to know if it is possible (and wise) to just keep the
> /var/lib/postgres...... directories from the old 32Bit server to use
> on
> the 64Bit version.
>
> This is just as a personal interest since I can also just dump and
> restore the database in about 2.5 hrs.

No, you must dump/reload.