Обсуждение: Importance of CPU floating point performance...

Importance of CPU floating point performance...

От
Nathan Wilhelmi
Дата:
Hello - Trying to find out how much floating point operation performance
effects Postgres in general. Looking at some lower power machines that
have good integer performance but not great floating point performance,
shared FPU across cpus. If we store, but don't use in query criteria,
floating point numbers would Postgres perform the same as machine with
dedicated FPUs per cpu? Anyone have any suggestions or horror stories to
share on this topic?

Thanks!

-Nate

Re: Importance of CPU floating point performance...

От
"Dann Corbit"
> Hello - Trying to find out how much floating point operation
performance
> effects Postgres in general. Looking at some lower power machines that
> have good integer performance but not great floating point
performance,
> shared FPU across cpus. If we store, but don't use in query criteria,
> floating point numbers would Postgres perform the same as machine with
> dedicated FPUs per cpu? Anyone have any suggestions or horror stories
> share on this topic?

Like every database, CPU core count and cycle rate, disk speed and
memory size dominate the equation.

A fast 64 bit smp linux box with a ton of memory and the fastest
possible disk will give you top performance.

Here are some PG benchmarks:
http://tweakers.net/reviews/657/6
http://tweakers.net/reviews/657/5
http://www.spec.org/jAppServer2004/results/res2007q3/jAppServer2004-2007
0606-00065.html

Floating point performance will be nothing more than an afterthought for
most database performance situations.