Обсуждение: Debian problem...

Debian problem...

От
Tom Allison
Дата:
Ran into a problem.

I hosed up postgresql by deleting the data directory.
So I thought I would just uninstall and reinstall postgres using
Debian packages.

Now I have nothing working.

Wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on what to do with a
Debian installation.
If not, I'm checking that list too, but it might be a while...

Re: Debian problem...

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Tom Allison (tom@tacocat.net) wrote:
> I hosed up postgresql by deleting the data directory.

erp.  That's no good.

> So I thought I would just uninstall and reinstall postgres using Debian
> packages.
> Now I have nothing working.

Huh, odd, that'd normally work, I think.

> Wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on what to do with a Debian
> installation.

Do a full purge of the package and then reinstall it?  I could maybe see
an issue if you didn't purge it due to the leftover symlinks in /etc...
You could also try doing a manual pg_createcluster, possibly with a
pg_dropcluster before it to make sure everything gets cleaned out.

    Enjoy,

        Stephen

Вложения

Re: Debian problem...

От
Ron St-Pierre
Дата:
There's likely someone here that can help you, if you can give us some
more info. To start with, did the uninstall even work?

Ron

Tom Allison wrote:
> Ran into a problem.
>
> I hosed up postgresql by deleting the data directory.
> So I thought I would just uninstall and reinstall postgres using
> Debian packages.
>
> Now I have nothing working.
>
> Wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on what to do with a
> Debian installation.
> If not, I'm checking that list too, but it might be a while...

Re: Debian problem...

От
李彦 Ian Li
Дата:
Maybe some Debian specific commands will help:
pg_lsclusters: list clusters you have on the machine;
pg_dropcluster: drop an existing cluster;
pg_createcluster: create new cluster.

Regards.

Tom Allison wrote:
> Ran into a problem.
>
> I hosed up postgresql by deleting the data directory.
> So I thought I would just uninstall and reinstall postgres using Debian
> packages.
>
> Now I have nothing working.
>
> Wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on what to do with a Debian
> installation.
> If not, I'm checking that list too, but it might be a while...

Re: Debian problem...

От
Tom Allison
Дата:
I was able get my database working again.
Never figured out why...

On Sep 11, 2007, at 12:52 AM, 李彦 Ian Li wrote:

> Maybe some Debian specific commands will help:
> pg_lsclusters: list clusters you have on the machine;
> pg_dropcluster: drop an existing cluster;
> pg_createcluster: create new cluster.
>
> Regards.
>
> Tom Allison wrote:
>> Ran into a problem.
>> I hosed up postgresql by deleting the data directory.
>> So I thought I would just uninstall and reinstall postgres using
>> Debian packages.
>> Now I have nothing working.
>> Wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on what to do with a
>> Debian installation.
>> If not, I'm checking that list too, but it might be a while...
>> ---------------------------(end of
>> broadcast)---------------------------
>> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Re: Debian problem...

От
Tom Allison
Дата:
On Sep 11, 2007, at 5:49 AM, Tom Allison wrote:

> I was able get my database working again.
> Never figured out why...

My database data (sorry about the redundancy there) is sitting on a
RAID1 array with LVM and ReiserFS.

I've heard some dissention about the use of ReiserFS and was wondering:

true?
alternatives?

Re: Debian problem...

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Hi,

Tom Allison schrieb:

> On Sep 11, 2007, at 5:49 AM, Tom Allison wrote:
>

>> I was able get my database working again.
>> Never figured out why...
>
> My database data (sorry about the redundancy there) is sitting on a
> RAID1 array with LVM and ReiserFS.
>
> I've heard some dissention about the use of ReiserFS and was wondering:

No problem with RazorFS if your hardware does not fail. But if...
chances are you have to use your backup.

Alternatively you could use XFS but I'm not sure if it performs
better on failing hardware. I guess not.

Regards
Tino

Re: Debian problem...

От
"Andrej Ricnik-Bay"
Дата:
On 9/12/07, Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de> wrote:

> Alternatively you could use XFS but I'm not sure if it performs
> better on failing hardware. I guess not.
Actually I've seen anecdotal evidence that XFS with its
aggressive write-caching has caused data-loss in the
event of power-failures.

I'm not certain how sensible Reiser, which is optimised
for efficiency with small files, would be for a postgres
data directory in terms of performance.  ext3 or jfs
maybe?

> Regards
> Tino
Cheers,
Andrej

Re: Debian problem...

От
Tom Allison
Дата:
On Sep 12, 2007, at 3:52 AM, Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Tom Allison schrieb:
>> On Sep 11, 2007, at 5:49 AM, Tom Allison wrote:
>>>
>>> I was able get my database working again.
>>> Never figured out why...
>> My database data (sorry about the redundancy there) is sitting on
>> a RAID1 array with LVM and ReiserFS.
>> I've heard some dissention about the use of ReiserFS and was
>> wondering:
>
> No problem with RazorFS if your hardware does not fail. But if...
> chances are you have to use your backup.
>
> Alternatively you could use XFS but I'm not sure if it performs
> better on failing hardware. I guess not.
>
> Regards
> Tino

Well, when one is looking at hardware failure, the performance
doesn't really matter that much.
Is EXT3 better for dealing with a RAID1 failure?
I know reiserfs does better performance wise, but there's no point in
going fast if you can't steer.

Re: Debian problem...

От
Vivek Khera
Дата:
On Sep 28, 2007, at 5:09 AM, Tom Allison wrote:

> I know reiserfs does better performance wise, but there's no point
> in going fast if you can't steer.

I recently had to replace 16 Western Digital 10kRPM SATA drives with
Hitachi 7.2kRPM drives because the WD drives kept randomly (and
falsely) reporting failure to the RAID system.  The performance loss
was noticeable, but the reliability was more important.