Обсуждение: PickSplit method of 2 columns ... error

PickSplit method of 2 columns ... error

От
Kevin Neufeld
Дата:
Has anyone come across this error before?

LOG:  PickSplit method of 2 columns of index
'asset_position_lines_asset_cubespacetime_idx' doesn't support secondary
split

This is a multi-column GiST index on an integer and a cube (a data type
from the postgres cube extension module).

I traced the error to the gistUserPicksplit
<gistsplit_8c.html#ae6afe3060066017ec18f7d40d3f9de8> function in the
gistsplit.c ... I surmise that this method is called whenever a page
split is necessary.

So, I know when this error occurs, but I don't know why.

Thoughts anyone?
Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Neufeld
Software Developer

Phone: (250) 383-3022
Email: kneufeld@refractions.net

Re: PickSplit method of 2 columns ... error

От
Teodor Sigaev
Дата:
Split page algorithm was rewrited for 8.2 for multicolumn indexes and API for
user-defined pickSplit function was extended to has better results with index
creation. But GiST can interact with old functions - and it says about this.
That isn't mean some real problem or error - index will be the same as in 8.1,
not better.

Kevin Neufeld wrote:
> Has anyone come across this error before?
>
> LOG:  PickSplit method of 2 columns of index
> 'asset_position_lines_asset_cubespacetime_idx' doesn't support secondary
> split
>
> This is a multi-column GiST index on an integer and a cube (a data type
> from the postgres cube extension module).
>
> I traced the error to the gistUserPicksplit
> <gistsplit_8c.html#ae6afe3060066017ec18f7d40d3f9de8> function in the
> gistsplit.c ... I surmise that this method is called whenever a page
> split is necessary.
>
> So, I know when this error occurs, but I don't know why.
>
> Thoughts anyone?
> Cheers,
> Kevin

                                                    WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Re: PickSplit method of 2 columns ... error

Дата:
Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:
> Split page algorithm was rewrited for 8.2 for multicolumn indexes and API for
> user-defined pickSplit function was extended to has better results with index
> creation. But GiST can interact with old functions - and it says about this.
> That isn't mean some real problem or error - index will be the same as in 8.1,
> not better.

Perhaps that LOG message should be reduced to DEBUG1 or so.  It's not
like it's something the average user could fix for himself.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PickSplit method of 2 columns ... error

От
Kevin Neufeld
Дата:
Yes, thanx. This would be useful as some of our clients are getting
swamped (and confused) with these messages in the log files.

Cheers,
Kevin

Tom Lane wrote:
> Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:
>
>> Split page algorithm was rewrited for 8.2 for multicolumn indexes and API for
>> user-defined pickSplit function was extended to has better results with index
>> creation. But GiST can interact with old functions - and it says about this.
>> That isn't mean some real problem or error - index will be the same as in 8.1,
>> not better.
>>

> Perhaps that LOG message should be reduced to DEBUG1 or so.  It's not
> like it's something the average user could fix for himself.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Kevin Neufeld
Software Developer
Refractions Research Inc.
300-1207 Douglas St.
Victoria, B.C., V8W 2E7

Phone: (250) 383-3022
Email: kneufeld@refractions.net

Re: PickSplit method of 2 columns ... error

От
Tim Wilson
Дата:
Did this change to gistsplit.c to reduce the logging from LOG down to DEBUG1 ever done?

--
Tim Wilson
Lead DB Engineer - Telogis

One Platform for Location Intelligence
—
This e-mail, and any attachments, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. It is the property of Telogis. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, any attachments thereto, and use of the information contained, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and permanently delete the original and any copy there of.