Обсуждение: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP

Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP

От
"John Coulthard"
Дата:
Hi

I'm trying to set up a new webserver running php and pgsql.  PHP was
connecting to postgres but I needed to install the php-gd module and now I
get the error...

"PHP Warning:  pg_connect() [<a
href='function.pg-connect'>function.pg-connect</a>]: Unable to connect to
PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: Permission denied\n\tIs the
server running on host "localhost" and accepting\n\tTCP/IP
connections on port 5432?"

.... and I'm at a loss can anyone tell me why it's not connecting?

Thanks

This bit's I know are...
http://xyala.cap.ed.ac.uk/php_info.php  say's php's configured for pgsql

[#@xyala]# telnet localhost 5432
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
[#@xyala]#

[#@xyala]# less /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

#local   all         all                               ident sameuser
local   all         all                               trust
# IPv4 local connections:
#host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          ident sameuser
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
# IPv6 local connections:
#host    all         all         ::1/128               ident sameuser
host    all         all         ::1/128               trust

[#@xyala]# grep 'listen' /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
# "pg_ctl reload". Some settings, such as listen_address, require
#listen_addresses = 'localhost' # what IP interface(s) to listen on;
listen_addresses = '*'
[#@xyala]#

[#@xyala]# less /etc/php.d/pgsql.ini
; Enable pgsql extension module
extension=pgsql.so

the server I'm going to replace is running the same versions of PHP and
postgres http://zeldia.cap.ed.ac.uk/php_info.php
The /etc/php.ini files on the two machines are the same and the
/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf files are only different because I've
set listen_addresses = '*' on the new server (xyala) to see if I can make it
work.

Re: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP

От
Julio Cesar Sánchez González
Дата:
El jue, 09-08-2007 a las 14:51 +0000, John Coulthard escribió:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to set up a new webserver running php and pgsql.  PHP was
> connecting to postgres but I needed to install the php-gd module and now I
> get the error...
>
> "PHP Warning:  pg_connect() [<a
> href='function.pg-connect'>function.pg-connect</a>]: Unable to connect to
> PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: Permission denied\n\tIs the
> server running on host "localhost" and accepting\n\tTCP/IP
> connections on port 5432?"
>
> .... and I'm at a loss can anyone tell me why it's not connecting?
>
> Thanks
>
> This bit's I know are...
> http://xyala.cap.ed.ac.uk/php_info.php  say's php's configured for pgsql
>
> [#@xyala]# telnet localhost 5432
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> [#@xyala]#
>

> [#@xyala]# less /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
> # TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
>
> # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
> #local   all         all                               ident sameuser
> local   all         all                               trust
> # IPv4 local connections:
> #host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          ident sameuser
> host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
> # IPv6 local connections:
> #host    all         all         ::1/128               ident sameuser
> host    all         all         ::1/128               trust
>
> [#@xyala]# grep 'listen' /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
> # "pg_ctl reload". Some settings, such as listen_address, require
> #listen_addresses = 'localhost' # what IP interface(s) to listen on;
> listen_addresses = '*'
> [#@xyala]#
>
> [#@xyala]# less /etc/php.d/pgsql.ini
> ; Enable pgsql extension module
> extension=pgsql.so
>
> the server I'm going to replace is running the same versions of PHP and
> postgres http://zeldia.cap.ed.ac.uk/php_info.php
> The /etc/php.ini files on the two machines are the same and the
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf files are only different because I've
> set listen_addresses = '*' on the new server (xyala) to see if I can make it
> work.

show your php source code for help you.

Julio Cesar Sánchez González
www.sistemasyconectividad.com.mx
blog: http://darkavngr.blogspot.com

---
Ahora me he convertido en la muerte, destructora de mundos.
Soy la Muerte que se lleva todo, la fuente de las cosas que vendran.

Re: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP

От
"John Coulthard"
Дата:
The part of the php code for the connection is

$dbconn=pg_connect( "dbname=lumbribase host=localhost port=5432
user=postgres password=$PG_PASS" );
if ( ! $dbconn ) {
    echo "Error connecting to the database !<br> " ;
    printf("%s", pg_errormessage( $dbconn ) );
    exit(); }

This code works on zeldia
http://zeldia.cap.ed.ac.uk/Lumbribase/search_id.php
but not on xyala http://xyala.cap.ed.ac.uk/Lumbribase/search_id.php

So it's something to do with the way xyala is set up.  I'm sure I'm missing
something obvious but what..?

It's not  a firewall issue because it persists when the iptabes are off.

What does "could not connect to server: Permission denied" mean?  Have I
done some something as root or me that I should have done as user postgres?

Thanks

> [...]
> > /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf files are only different because
>I've
> > set listen_addresses = '*' on the new server (xyala) to see if I can
>make it
> > work.

> > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE!

> > TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>

>show your php source code for help you.
>

>--
>Regards,
>
>Julio Cesar Sánchez González
>www.sistemasyconectividad.com.mx
>blog: http://darkavngr.blogspot.com
>
>---
>Ahora me he convertido en la muerte, destructora de mundos.
>Soy la Muerte que se lleva todo, la fuente de las cosas que vendran.

Re: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP

"Lim Berger"
Дата:
On 8/13/07, John Coulthard <bahhab@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The part of the php code for the connection is
>

> $dbconn=pg_connect( "dbname=lumbribase host=localhost port=5432
> user=postgres password=$PG_PASS" );
> if ( ! $dbconn ) {
>     echo "Error connecting to the database !<br> " ;
>     printf("%s", pg_errormessage( $dbconn ) );
>     exit(); }
>
> This code works on zeldia
> http://zeldia.cap.ed.ac.uk/Lumbribase/search_id.php
> but not on xyala http://xyala.cap.ed.ac.uk/Lumbribase/search_id.php
>
> So it's something to do with the way xyala is set up.  I'm sure I'm missing
> something obvious but what..?
>
> It's not  a firewall issue because it persists when the iptabes are off.
>
> What does "could not connect to server: Permission denied" mean?  Have I
> done some something as root or me that I should have done as
> user postgres?

Hi John,

Had the same issue. Try the following steps:

1. PGHBA.CONF

This is an important file. Mine (on Linux CentOS 4) is located at
"/var/lib/pgsql/data/pghba.conf". Make sure it looks like the
following.

local   all         all                                              md5
host    all         all         127.0.0.1          255.255.255.255   md5

2. POSTGRESQL.CONF

listen_addresses = 'localhost,*'
#port = 5432
....other settings....

3. PHP CODE

link   = pg_connect("host=localhost dbname=MYDB user=MYUSER password=MYPASS");

--
That is all you need. Don't specify anything else in the connection
string. Let me know how it goes.

LB

Re: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP

От
"John Coulthard"
Дата:
> [...]

> > The /etc/php.ini files on the two machines are the same and the
> > /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf files are only different because
>I've
> > set listen_addresses = '*' on the new server (xyala) to see if I can
>make it
> > work.

> > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE!

> > TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>

>show your php source code for help you.
>

>--
>Regards,
>
>Julio Cesar Sánchez González
>www.sistemasyconectividad.com.mx
>blog: http://darkavngr.blogspot.com
>
>---
>Ahora me he convertido en la muerte, destructora de mundos.
>Soy la Muerte que se lleva todo, la fuente de las cosas que vendran.

Messenger Caf� � open for fun 24/7. Hot games, cool activities served daily.
Visit now. http://cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_AugHMtagline

Re: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP

От
"John Coulthard"

>From: "Lim Berger" <straightfwd007@gmail.com>
>To: "John Coulthard" <bahhab@hotmail.com>
>CC: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP
>Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:51:37 +0800
>
>On 8/13/07, John Coulthard <bahhab@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > The part of the php code for the connection is
> >

> > $dbconn=pg_connect( "dbname=lumbribase host=localhost port=5432
> > user=postgres password=$PG_PASS" );
> > if ( ! $dbconn ) {
> >     echo "Error connecting to the database !<br> " ;
> >     printf("%s", pg_errormessage( $dbconn ) );
> >     exit(); }
> >
> > This code works on zeldia
> > http://zeldia.cap.ed.ac.uk/Lumbribase/search_id.php
> > but not on xyala http://xyala.cap.ed.ac.uk/Lumbribase/search_id.php
> >
> > So it's something to do with the way xyala is set up.  I'm sure I'm
>missing
> > something obvious but what..?
> >
> > It's not  a firewall issue because it persists when the iptabes are off.
> >
> > What does "could not connect to server: Permission denied" mean?  Have I
> > done some something as root or me that I should have done as
> > user postgres?
>

>Hi John,
>
>Had the same issue. Try the following steps:
>
>1. PGHBA.CONF
>
>This is an important file. Mine (on Linux CentOS 4) is located at
>"/var/lib/pgsql/data/pghba.conf". Make sure it looks like the
>following.
>
>local   all         all                                              md5
>host    all         all         127.0.0.1          255.255.255.255   md5
>

>2. POSTGRESQL.CONF
>

>listen_addresses = 'localhost,*'
>#port = 5432
>....other settings....
>

>3. PHP CODE
>

>link   = pg_connect("host=localhost dbname=MYDB user=MYUSER
>password=MYPASS");
>
>--
>That is all you need. Don't specify anything else in the connection
>string. Let me know how it goes.
>
>LB

>TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Thanks for the sugestions but they don''t solve the problem.  I do notice
that if I set listen_addresses='localhost,*' then I get the following when I
start postgres...

bash-3.00$ ps -ef | grep postgres
root      9669  8757  0 13:34 pts/5    00:00:00 su postgres
postgres  9670  9669  0 13:34 pts/5    00:00:00 bash
postgres  9673  9670  0 13:34 pts/5    00:00:00 ps -ef
postgres  9674  9670  0 13:34 pts/5    00:00:00 grep postgres
bash-3.00$ /usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql/data start
postmaster starting
bash-3.00$ LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: Address already in use
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a
few seconds and retry.

bash-3.00$

it does start though.  But if I just have localhost or * as the
listen_addresses it starts without error.

That's not my problem though this is "could not connect to server:
Permission denied"  If it's denying permission I must have the permissions
set wrong but where to I start looking for them?  All sub dirs in
/var/lib/pgsql are owned by postgres and seem to have the same permissions
on both systems.

Cheers

Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more�.then map the best route!

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&ss=yp.bars~yp.pizza~yp.movie%20theater&cp=42.358996~-71.056691&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=950607&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01

Re: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP

Дата:
"John Coulthard" <bahhab@hotmail.com> writes:
> That's not my problem though this is "could not connect to server:
> Permission denied"  If it's denying permission I must have the permissions
> set wrong but where to I start looking for them?

"Permission denied" is a pretty strange error for a TCP connect failure,
as that is not a filesystem operation.

Are you able to connect with psql, or some other non-php client?
Use "psql -h localhost" to make sure it tries a TCP connection not
a Unix-socket connection.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP

От
"John Coulthard"

>From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>To: "John Coulthard" <bahhab@hotmail.com>
>CC: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP Date:
>Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:09:15 -0400
>
>"John Coulthard" <bahhab@hotmail.com> writes:
> > That's not my problem though this is "could not connect to server:
> > Permission denied"  If it's denying permission I must have the
>permissions
> > set wrong but where to I start looking for them?
>
>"Permission denied" is a pretty strange error for a TCP connect failure,
>as that is not a filesystem operation.
>
>Are you able to connect with psql, or some other non-php client?
>Use "psql -h localhost" to make sure it tries a TCP connection not
>a Unix-socket connection.

Thanks. You mean like this?  This connects without an error.

[root@xyala john]# su webuser
[webuser@xyala john]$ psql -h localhost lumbribase

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

lumbribase=>

Re: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP

От
"John Coulthard"
Дата:
It was SELinux denying apache permission to make TCP connections!

I thought I had SELinux turned off but it wasn't. To be sure it is do
   /usr/sbin/sestatus | grep SELinux
and if it comes back with anything other than SELinux status:  disabled it's
still running.

While I was talking to the php board I discovered you can configure php to
run from the command line (mine was by default).  So I wrote this bit of php
(obviously change the database name and you may need a user and passwd)...

<?php
$dbconn=pg_connect("dbname=lumbribase");
if ( ! $dbconn ) {
    echo "Error connecting to the database !<br> " ;
    printf("%s", pg_errormessage( $dbconn ) );
    exit(); }
else {echo "connected", "\n";}
?>

....saved it as test.php and at a shell prompt ran...

   [john@ tmp]$ php test.php
   connected

If you get 'connected' you know php and postgres are talking via tcp and
some secondary process (firewall/SELinux) is preventing the apache
connection.

Thanks for the help.