Обсуждение: failed to unlink, Permission denied

failed to unlink, Permission denied

От
M S
Дата:
Hi,

  I left our app on soak test overnight, it ran fine for some time but after a few hours I noticed the following
messagesrepeated in the log (the tmp filename changes, but the PlPgSql function which causes it does not).

  2007-08-08 17:25:57 LOG:  failed to unlink "pg_tblspc/16403/16404/pgsql_tmp/pgsql_tmp5260.0": Permission denied

  2007-08-08 17:25:57 CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "JobTargetNextUnsentGet" line 40 at for over select rows

  The PlPgSql function is just a SELECT with 2 INNER JOINS, an integer comparison WHERE clause, with an ORDER BY time
anda LIMIT 1.

  Could anyone please suggest what could be behind this error?

  Postgres version 8.2.3

  Windows 2003 SP2

  I have checked the Changelog from 8.2.3-8.2.4 and nothing look relevant.

  Thanks.

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/

Re: failed to unlink, Permission denied

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
On 8/9/07, M S <arthur_ringworn@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>   I left our app on soak test overnight, it ran fine for some time but after a few hours I noticed the following
messagesrepeated in the log (the tmp filename changes, but the PlPgSql function which causes it does not).
>   2007-08-08 17:25:57 LOG:  failed to unlink "pg_tblspc/16403/16404/pgsql_tmp/pgsql_tmp5260.0": Permission denied
>
>   2007-08-08 17:25:57 CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "JobTargetNextUnsentGet" line 40 at for over select rows
>   The PlPgSql function is just a SELECT with 2 INNER JOINS, an integer comparison WHERE clause, with an ORDER BY time
anda LIMIT 1.

>   Could anyone please suggest what could be behind this error?
>
>   I have checked the Changelog from 8.2.3-8.2.4 and nothing look relevant.

no, but  (IMO) 8.2.4 is a required upgrade....so you should be testing that.

The server is unable to delete a file (specifically, a  temporary
table created for sorting).  Have you considered any running services
that may acquire a lock on the table (windows is famous for this).
This may also suggest you need to look at the work_mem setting, but
this is not the issue at hand.

is the error repeatable?

merlin

Re: failed to unlink, Permission denied

От
M S
Дата:
> no, but  (IMO) 8.2.4 is a required upgrade....so you should be testing
that.
Understood, I'll try an upgrade after my repeat tests have finished.

> The server is unable to delete a file (specifically, a  temporary
> table created for sorting).  Have you considered any running services
> that may acquire a lock on the table (windows is famous for this).
There is the possibility of other threads inserting into the same table, but wouldn't that be a problem according to my
understandingof MVCC. There are no LOCK TABLE statements on this table.
I can't think of any programs which would be locking the files (antivirus or other), but I'll have a look.

> This may also suggest you need to look at the work_mem setting, but
> this is not the issue at hand.
Interesting, I'll pass that on.

> is the error repeatable?
I'm running the tests again with 8.2.3 to get an idea.

Cheers for the help!

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/

Re: failed to unlink, Permission denied

От
M S
Дата:
I have reproduced this.

I'll upgrade to 8.2.4 and report back after my long weekend.

Cheers.

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/

Re: failed to unlink, Permission denied

Дата:
M S <arthur_ringworn@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> I can't think of any programs which would be locking the files (antivirus o=
> r other), but I'll have a look.

Since it's a temporary file, no other Postgres process would be touching
it.  I strongly suspect an antivirus or similar tool is touching the
file just as we try to delete it.

            regards, tom lane