Обсуждение: Comment for column in view - "legal" or just working?

Comment for column in view - "legal" or just working?

От
"Harald Armin Massa"
Дата:
Using PostgreSQL 8.1.8 on Windows.

I have one named listedi in schema cust; that view has one column "name"

No I used

comment on cust.listedi.name is 'MyDescriptive Name';

and the command suceeded. Using \d+ in psql also shows me that comment (also I find no option within pgadmin to view it :) )

My question is:

- is this a legal usage of COMMENT, or could this "vanish" in later releases?
 (within COMMENTs documentation there is only mentioned    column <tablename>.<columname>)

Best wishes,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: Comment for column in view - "legal" or just working?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> Using PostgreSQL 8.1.8 on Windows.
>
> I have one named listedi in schema cust; that view has one column "name"
>
> No I used
>
> comment on cust.listedi.name <http://cust.listedi.name> is
> 'MyDescriptive Name';
>
> and the command suceeded. Using \d+ in psql also shows me that comment
> (also I find no option within pgadmin to view it :) )

You can in 1.8 - that will show a collection of columns under a view,
and allow you to set the comment and default value for each.

Regards, Dave

Re: Comment for column in view - "legal" or just working?

От
"Harald Armin Massa"
Дата:
Thanks, Dave.

<---- reminds me to run allways newest pgadmin, even on customer sites :)

having it used within pgadmin makes it "legal" enough for me to rely on it within my application

Best wishes,

Harald