Обсуждение: Postgresql over a SAN

Postgresql over a SAN

От
Denis Gasparin
Дата:
We're evaluating to install a SAN (Storage Area Network) and to use it
as storage area for our Postgresql server.

Did anybody already make this? Problems, performance issues, tips?

The db server is mainly used as backend to several heavy loaded web servers.

The version of Postgresql is 8.1 and OS is linux with kernel 2.6.
The server will be connected to the SAN using a 4Gb fibre channel link.

Thank you in advance,
Denis

Re: Postgresql over a SAN

От
"Albe Laurenz"
Дата:
Denis Gasparin wrote:
> We're evaluating to install a SAN (Storage Area Network) and to use it
> as storage area for our Postgresql server.
>
> Did anybody already make this? Problems, performance issues, tips?

We use a SAN with HP EVA boxes for our PostgreSQL servers and we have
not encountered any irregularities so far. None of our databases
are very big or under heavy load though.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Postgresql over a SAN

От
"Ericson Smith"
Дата:
At one point I used a SAN with a 380GB postgresql database. There were
no issues.

Great benefit? We were able to keep a hot standby servers in case the
main server went down. In that case we would just shutdown the primary
server, and start the standby one.

- Ericson Smith
W3matter LLC
http://www.w3matter.com