Обсуждение: Functions refering directly to table columns?

Functions refering directly to table columns?

От
cluster
Дата:
When using a function I need to parse each value as argument, e.g.
   myFunction(arg1, arg2, ..., arg999)

However, if I can guarantee that the function will only be used with a
certain table, can I then omit the arguments and letting the function
refer to the table columns directly?
In that way I could just write
   myFunction()
which is much easier. Furthermore, if I redefine which columns the
function should use, I would only have to modify ONE place, namely the
function definition. Not tons of queries.

How can I obtain this non-argument-requiring function feature?

Re: Functions refering directly to table columns?

От
cluster
Дата:
> How can I obtain this non-argument-requiring function feature?

I solved it myself: Define the function using composite types
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/xfunc-sql.html)