Обсуждение: B-tree fan-out

B-tree fan-out

От
cluster
Дата:
What is the fan-out (number of child nodes) on each B-tree node in
postgresql? Is it dependent of the size of the keys being indexed? If
so: How?

In B-trees all non-leaf nodes have a bunch of pointers to its child
nodes. What is the size of such a pointer?

Thanks

Re: B-tree fan-out

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Jun 22, 2007, at 14:11 , cluster wrote:

> What is the fan-out (number of child nodes) on each B-tree node in
> postgresql? Is it dependent of the size of the keys being indexed?
> If so: How?
>
> In B-trees all non-leaf nodes have a bunch of pointers to its child
> nodes. What is the size of such a pointer?

I doubt this is in the documentation, but you can always read the
source. I'd take a look around:

src/backend/access/nbtree/

starting, with the REAME file.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: B-tree fan-out

От
cluster
Дата:
> I doubt this is in the documentation, but you can always read the
> source. I'd take a look around:
 > src/backend/access/nbtree/

Maybe its just me that is blind, but I couldn't find anything on this
particular issue there.  :-(

Any other suggestions?