Обсуждение: open source - content management system - that uses PostGreSQL

open source - content management system - that uses PostGreSQL

От
"Andrew Kirkness"
Дата:
Hello,

I am currently setting up a website and have PostGreSQL database I'm using for the backend. I'm researching an open source Content Management System that uses PostGreSQL. Do you have any recommendations?

Alternatively, I noticed most open source Content Management Systems use MySQL. If I'm using a PostGreSQL database to store data from customers, but also have MySQL database capability, can I still use a Content Management System that uses MySQL and still use PostGreSQL to store data from customers?

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,
Andrew

--

Andrew Kirkness
akirkness@bciprotocol.com

T:  905.464.7755
F: 416.503.3138
www.bciprotocol.com
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing client engagement contract.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Re: open source - content management system - that uses PostGreSQL

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Feb 16, 2007, at 4:13 PM, Andrew Kirkness wrote:

> I am currently setting up a website and have PostGreSQL database
> I'm using for the backend. I'm researching an open source Content
> Management System that uses PostGreSQL. Do you have any
> recommendations?

Drupal is excellent and supports PostgreSQL: http://drupal.org

Here is a link about installing Drupal with PostgreSQL:

http://pgedit.com/install_drupal

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: open source - content management system - that uses PostGreSQL

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
John DeSoi wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2007, at 4:13 PM, Andrew Kirkness wrote:
>
>> I am currently setting up a website and have PostGreSQL database I'm
>> using for the backend. I'm researching an open source Content
>> Management System that uses PostGreSQL. Do you have any recommendations?
>
> Drupal is excellent and supports PostgreSQL: http://drupal.org
>
> Here is a link about installing Drupal with PostgreSQL:
>
> http://pgedit.com/install_drupal

However,

If you are going to use Drupal on a site with a lot of content make sure
you rip out the search and plug in tsearch2.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: open source - content management system - that uses PostGreSQL

От
Andrew Kelly
Дата:
On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 09:59 -0500, John DeSoi wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2007, at 4:13 PM, Andrew Kirkness wrote:
>
> > I am currently setting up a website and have PostGreSQL database
> > I'm using for the backend. I'm researching an open source Content
> > Management System that uses PostGreSQL. Do you have any
> > recommendations?
>
> Drupal is excellent and supports PostgreSQL: http://drupal.org
>
> Here is a link about installing Drupal with PostgreSQL:
>
> http://pgedit.com/install_drupal

I'd also highly recommend eZpublish from eZsystems.
http://ez.no

Andy

Re: open source - content management system - that uses PostGreSQL

От
Vivek Khera

I am currently setting up a website and have PostGreSQL database I'm using for the backend. I'm researching an open source Content Management System that uses PostGreSQL. Do you have any recommendations?

You need to define what you want your CMS to do, before you get good recommendations.

We've investigated a bunch of systems for publishing a magazine-type site, http://www.morebusiness.com/  and have discovered that pretty much all of them like to work with mysql :-(

I think this is because many of the designers of the free, lower-end, software don't truly appreciate the relational SQL model and treat the DB as a dumb store.  Once you move higher-up in the chain, you start to see better data models, and they lean toward using Pg instead...

I can't figure out what you want to do with customer data  and the CMS.   Without knowing that, nobody can really say anything meaningful to you.  Are your customers providing the content?

Despite this lack of clarity, I can recommend that you first define the features you want and then evaluate the systems based on those features being available.  Then all else being equal, use the preferred DB as your tie breaker.  I wouldn't rule out some good software just because it uses mysql on the back-end.

Вложения

Re: open source - content management system - that uses PostGreSQL

От
Jeff Ross
Дата:
Vivek Khera wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2007, at 4:13 PM, Andrew Kirkness wrote:
>
>> I am currently setting up a website and have PostGreSQL database I'm
>> using for the backend. I'm researching an open source Content
>> Management System that uses PostGreSQL. Do you have any recommendations?
>
> You need to define what you want your CMS to do, before you get good
> recommendations.
>
> We've investigated a bunch of systems for publishing a magazine-type
> site, http://www.morebusiness.com/  and have discovered that pretty
> much all of them like to work with mysql :-(
>
> I think this is because many of the designers of the free, lower-end,
> software don't truly appreciate the relational SQL model and treat the
> DB as a dumb store.  Once you move higher-up in the chain, you start
> to see better data models, and they lean toward using Pg instead...
>
> I can't figure out what you want to do with customer data  and the
> CMS.   Without knowing that, nobody can really say anything meaningful
> to you.  Are your customers providing the content?
>
> Despite this lack of clarity, I can recommend that you first define
> the features you want and then evaluate the systems based on those
> features being available.  Then all else being equal, use the
> preferred DB as your tie breaker.  I wouldn't rule out some good
> software just because it uses mysql on the back-end.

Bricolage uses PostgreSQL as its backend.

http://www.bricolage.cc

Re: open source - content management system - that uses PostGreSQL

От
Frank Miles
Дата:
One nice CMS package -- it doesn't force you to use Postgresql, but that is
(IIRC) the default -- and python:
     http://www.djangoproject.com/

HTH--

     -frank