Обсуждение: Working with one live and one development database

Working with one live and one development database

От
hugo.wetterberg@gmail.com
Дата:
Hi all,
We are moving from MySQL to PgSQL in my organization and I would like
some input on what the best method is for working with one development
and one live database. We need to copy all data, structure information,
functions et.c. from the live database to the development database
every now and then. The development database will be on a separate
machine. What is the best way to do this?

Kind regards
Hugo Wetterberg

Re: Working with one live and one development database

От
"Raymond O'Donnell"
Дата:
On 5 Dec 2006 at 2:59, hugo.wetterberg@gmail.com wrote:

> live database. We need to copy all data, structure information,
> functions et.c. from the live database to the development database
> every now and then. The development database will be on a separate
> machine. What is the best way to do this?

I do that every now and then.....I simply do a complete dump of the
database I need using pg_dump, and then reload it on the development
machine using psql (I generally do a text-format dump).

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell
Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Galway, Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Working with one live and one development database

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 04:59, hugo.wetterberg@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> We are moving from MySQL to PgSQL in my organization and I would like
> some input on what the best method is for working with one development
> and one live database. We need to copy all data, structure information,
> functions et.c. from the live database to the development database
> every now and then. The development database will be on a separate
> machine. What is the best way to do this?

I do this quite often for testing purposes.  If the dbs are on different
machines, then, from a place that can connect to both machines,
something like:

// if the slave_server db exists:
dropdb -h slave_server -U superuser dbname
createdb -h slave_server -U superuser dbname
pg_dump -h master_server -U superuser dbname | psql -h slave_server -U
superuser dbname