Обсуждение: postgres under Suse linux

postgres under Suse linux

От
Antonios Katsikadamos
Дата:
Hi all I am a new linux and postgres user and i don't
know how i canconfigure the postgres on suse linux in
order to make it run.

I would be thankful for any tip.

kind regards

Antonios

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: postgres under Suse linux

От
Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
> Hi all I am a new linux and postgres user and i don't
> know how i canconfigure the postgres on suse linux in
> order to make it run.
> I would be thankful for any tip.

The postgresql installation documentation is in the manual.  Also, notice the user comments at the
bottom.  Some comments are from suse users.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/installation.html

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: postgres under Suse linux

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Antonios Katsikadamos wrote:
> Hi all I am a new linux and postgres user and i don't
> know how i canconfigure the postgres on suse linux in
> order to make it run.
>
> I would be thankful for any tip.

1. Take your time - don't rush.
In particular, if you're not used to Linux, allow time to get used to
that too.

2. Use the Suse package manager and make sure you've installed
postgresql-client and server packages.
If you provide a password for user "postgres", write it down.
You might want perl/php/ruby/etc libraries too. They might be under
"php" rather than "postgresql".

3. You might also want the "pgadmin" package if it's included on Suse.
There's also a phpPgAdmin package available.

4. Find your postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf and make sure you have
access from the local machine (see the manuals for details). Read the
section in postgresql.conf on logging and make sure you know where your
logs will be and what will be logged (perhaps turn up logging detail to
start with).

5. Restart/start the server with a command something like:
    /etc/init.d/postgresql restart
Check your logs to see if there are any error messages. You can confirm
it is running with a command like:
    ps auxw | grep post
6. If it is running, try the command-line client:
    psql -U postgres -l
That should list databases. If you find you can't get access use "su" to
switch to the postgres user and try again. If that doesn't work, re-edit
your pg_hba.conf to allow free access from the local machine.
7. Set up users and databases, explore.
8. Make sure you know how pg_dump/pg_restore work. Read up on VACUUM and
ANALYSE and how autovacuum works.

You'll want to read the manual section on locales too - you might need
to re-run initdb once you've done that, so read it fairly early on.

Since you are new to Linux and PostgreSQL I'd allow at least a week of
exploring before starting any real work. Oh, and keep lots of backups.

HTH
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: postgres under Suse linux

От
Anastasios Hatzis
Дата:
Antonios Katsikadamos wrote:
> Hi all I am a new linux and postgres user and i don't
> know how i canconfigure the postgres on suse linux in
> order to make it run.
>
> I would be thankful for any tip.

Antonios,

Finally I have installed successfully PostgreSQL 8.1.5 under a clean
OpenSUSE 10.0 64-bit system. I had some problems since I'm new to Linux
(at least if ignoring some years of superior comfort desktop click-click
on Linux/KDE)... despite that I could build PostgreSQL even from
sources. And I achieved that it is started at given runlevels. It costed
me some days during the last weeks, but I'm a bit proud of it now ;-)

If you have still questions on installation and configuration in more
details, please ask in this list (CC me, pls.). I guess some of the
problems I had could be the same at your installation.

Anastasios