Обсуждение: Tape backup, 2 versions, same database name, which is pg_dump backing up

Tape backup, 2 versions, same database name, which is pg_dump backing up

От
MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com

Yesterday a consultant upgraded me from 7.3.4 to 8.1.4 on a RedHat 9 server. To make sure everything was okay we left the server so that both versions of Postgresql load. 7.3.4 loads on the default port of 5432 and 8.1.4 loads on port 55432 . My database was moved into the new version so both the old and new databases have the same name.

I have a little .sh file that runs a tape backup using pg_dump and I am wondering if both versions are running how do I know which version of the pg_dump is running and which version of the database is being backed up?

The backup command I use is

        pg_dump -U postgres -C -D -f /tmp/$(date+%F)owl.sql owl

then I use tar to copy the file to tape.

Please answer to me as well as the list, I am on digest.

Thanks,
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Margaret Gillon, IS Dept., Chromalloy Los Angeles, ext. 297

This e-mail message and any attachment(s) are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential information which may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by reply email and destroy the original message and any copies of the message as well as any attachment(s) to the original message.

Re: Tape backup, 2 versions, same database name, which is pg_dump backing up

От
"Thomas F. O'Connell"
Дата:
You'll need to specify the non-default port explicitly in your pg_dump command in order to back up the postmaster running on 55432.

E.g., pg_dump -p 55432 -U postgres -C -D -f /tmp/$(date+%F)owl.sql owl

By default, the postgres command-line utilities attempt to connect to 5432 (or $PGPORT or whatever is configured as the default port).

In the meantime, you're still backing up the 7.3.4 postmaster with that script.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Sitening, LLC

3004B Poston Avenue
Nashville, TN 37203-1314
615-469-5150 x802
615-469-5151 (fax)

"Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo@sitening.com> wrote on 08/02/2006 02:04:35 PM:

> You'll need to specify the non-default port explicitly in your
> pg_dump command in order to back up the postmaster running on 55432.

> E.g., pg_dump -p 55432 -U postgres -C -D -f /tmp/$(date+%F)owl.sql owl

> By default, the postgres command-line utilities attempt to connect
> to 5432 (or $PGPORT or whatever is configured as the default port).

> In the meantime, you're still backing up the 7.3.4 postmaster with
> that script.

> --

> Thomas F. O'Connell
> Sitening, LLC

To confirm: what you're saying it that by specifying the port in my command the system knows which database to backup and which version of Postgresql to use.

Thank you for the assistance.

Margaret Gillon

Re: Tape backup, 2 versions, same database name, which is pg_dump backing up

От
"Thomas F. O'Connell"
Дата:
Your confirmation is correct with one slight technical exception: specifying the port doesn't technically cause the system to know which version of postgres to use.

In my previous post, I forgot to mention a related note: the version of pg_dump that you're using matters slightly. pg_dump can typically be used with older postgres installations, but not newer ones. So you should prefer using the 8.1.4 version of pg_dump to dump at least your 8.1.4 postmaster, but probably also your 7.3.4 postmaster.

A 7.3.4 pg_dump client will probably not be able to run against an 8.1.4 postmaster.

Otherwise, pg_dump doesn't really care about the version as much as it cares about being able to connect to a postmaster. That's what specifying the port helps it do. When you don't specify the port, it just tries port 5432. If it finds a postmaster listening there, great, it will try to dump it; otherwise, it will fail with a complaint that it couldn't connect to anything on 5432.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Sitening, LLC

3004B Poston Avenue
Nashville, TN 37203-1314
615-469-5150 x802
615-469-5151 (fax)

On Aug 2, 2006, at 4:10 PM, MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com wrote:

"Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo@sitening.com> wrote on 08/02/2006 02:04:35 PM:

> You'll need to specify the non-default port explicitly in your
> pg_dump command in order to back up the postmaster running on 55432.

> E.g., pg_dump -p 55432 -U postgres -C -D -f /tmp/$(date+%F)owl.sql owl

> By default, the postgres command-line utilities attempt to connect
> to 5432 (or $PGPORT or whatever is configured as the default port).

> In the meantime, you're still backing up the 7.3.4 postmaster with
> that script.

> --

> Thomas F. O'Connell
> Sitening, LLC

To confirm: what you're saying it that by specifying the port in my command the system knows which database to backup and which version of Postgresql to use.

Thank you for the assistance.

Margaret Gillon

Re: Tape backup, 2 versions, same database name, which is pg_dump

От
MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com

> Your confirmation is correct with one slight technical exception:
> specifying the port doesn't technically cause the system to know
> which version of postgres to use.

> In my previous post, I forgot to mention a related note: the version
> of pg_dump that you're using matters slightly. pg_dump can typically
> be used with older postgres installations, but not newer ones. So
> you should prefer using the 8.1.4 version of pg_dump to dump at
> least your 8.1.4 postmaster, but probably also your 7.3.4 postmaster.

> A 7.3.4 pg_dump client will probably not be able to run against an
> 8.1.4 postmaster.

> Otherwise, pg_dump doesn't really care about the version as much as
> it cares about being able to connect to a postmaster. That's what
> specifying the port helps it do. When you don't specify the port, it
> just tries port 5432. If it finds a postmaster listening there,
> great, it will try to dump it; otherwise, it will fail with a
> complaint that it couldn't connect to anything on 5432.

> --

> Thomas F. O'Connell
> Sitening, LLC
>
> http://www.sitening.com/

> 3004B Poston Avenue
> Nashville, TN 37203-1314
> 615-469-5150 x802
> 615-469-5151 (fax)

You're correct, I cannot use the pg_dump. I get a error message that the pg_dump is aborting because of a version mismatch, then it says to use the i opt. How do I call the pg_dump from the 8.1.4 version?

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
[...]

You'll probably need to specify an absolute path. Are both the client and server applications running on the same server? If so, you might need to get your consultant to tell you where the client applications for the 8.1.4 installation were actually installed. By default, postgres installs both client and server applications into /usr/local/pgsql, but at least one of your installations must be in a different location; otherwise, you probably couldn't have two versions of the postmaster running concurrently.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Sitening, LLC

3004B Poston Avenue
Nashville, TN 37203-1314
615-469-5150 x802
615-469-5151 (fax)

Re: Tape backup, 2 versions, same database name, which

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Thomas F. O'Connell wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2006, at 4:27 PM, MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com wrote:
>
>> You're correct, I cannot use the pg_dump. I get a error message that
>> the pg_dump is aborting because of a version mismatch, then it says to
>> use the i opt. How do I call the pg_dump from the 8.1.4 version?
>
> You'll probably need to specify an absolute path. Are both the client
> and server applications running on the same server? If so, you might
> need to get your consultant to tell you where the client applications
> for the 8.1.4 installation were actually installed. By default, postgres
> installs both client and server applications into /usr/local/pgsql, but
> at least one of your installations must be in a different location;
> otherwise, you probably couldn't have two versions of the postmaster
> running concurrently.

Oh, and two other commands you might find useful:
which pg_dump
    Will show you which version of pg_dump is being run by default
alias
    Will let you set up pg_dump81 as an alias for the correct binary you want.

Man pages cover the details.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Tape backup, 2 versions, same database name, which is pg_dump

От
MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com

Great, Thanks!