Обсуждение: encoding bug or feature?

encoding bug or feature?

От
marcelo Cortez
Дата:
folks

 select ucase( 'ñ'); -> 'ñ'
 i want this statemen return  'Ñ'
 any ideas?

 best regards
 mdc

Horóscopos, Salud y belleza, Chistes, Consejos de amor:
el contenido más divertido para tu celular está en Yahoo! Móvil.
Obtenelo en http://movil.yahoo.com.ar

Re: encoding bug or feature?

От
Jorge Godoy
Дата:
marcelo Cortez <jmdc_marcelo@yahoo.com.ar> writes:

> folks
>

>  select ucase( 'ñ'); -> 'ñ'
>  i want this statemen return  'Ñ'
>  any ideas?

test=# select upper( 'ñ');
 upper
-------
(1 record)

test=#

Maybe your locale settings are wrong...

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>

Re: encoding bug or feature?

От
marcelo Cortez
Дата:
Jorge

 the postgreslq.conf say

lc_messages = 'es_AR'                   # locale for
system error message
                                        # strings
lc_monetary = 'es_AR'                   # locale for
monetary formatting
lc_numeric = 'es_AR'                    # locale for
number formatting
lc_time = 'es_AR'                               #
locale for time formatting

but the upper function fail for me.
what is your settings?
BTW the database is SQL_ASCII

any pointer be appreciated
 best regards

  MDC

 --- Jorge Godoy <jgodoy@gmail.com> escribió:

> marcelo Cortez <jmdc_marcelo@yahoo.com.ar> writes:
>
> > folks
> >

> >  select ucase( 'ñ'); -> 'ñ'
> >  i want this statemen return  'Ñ'
> >  any ideas?
>
> test=# select upper( 'ñ');
>  upper
> -------
> (1 record)
>
> test=#
>

> Maybe your locale settings are wrong...
>
> --
> Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
http://correo.yahoo.com.ar

Re: encoding bug or feature?

От
Jorge Godoy
Дата:
marcelo Cortez <jmdc_marcelo@yahoo.com.ar> writes:

> Jorge
>

>  the postgreslq.conf say
>

> lc_messages = 'es_AR'                   # locale for
> system error message
>                                         # strings
> lc_monetary = 'es_AR'                   # locale for
> monetary formatting
> lc_numeric = 'es_AR'                    # locale for
> number formatting
> lc_time = 'es_AR'                               #
> locale for time formatting
>
> but the upper function fail for me.
> what is your settings?
> BTW the database is SQL_ASCII
>
> any pointer be appreciated
>  best regards

I believe you didn't get my reply to your personal message...  Here's its body
again:

My settings are all pt_BR.UTF-8.

# These settings are initialized by initdb -- they might be changed
lc_messages = 'pt_BR.UTF-8'                     # locale for system error message
                                                # strings
lc_monetary = 'pt_BR.UTF-8'                     # locale for monetary formatting
lc_numeric = 'pt_BR.UTF-8'                      # locale for number formatting
lc_time = 'pt_BR.UTF-8'                         # locale for time formatting

My database is also in UTF-8.

test=# \set
VERSION = 'PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.0 (SUSE Linux)'
AUTOCOMMIT = 'on'
VERBOSITY = 'default'
PROMPT1 = '%/%R%# '
PROMPT2 = '%/%R%# '
PROMPT3 = '>> '
DBNAME = 'test'
USER = 'godoy'
PORT = '5432'
ENCODING = 'UTF8'
HISTSIZE = '500'
test=#

Try creating a database with an encoding other than SQLASCII and see if it
works as you expect.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>

Re: encoding bug or feature?

От
marcelo Cortez
Дата:
Jorge

 my test, i created one utf8 database but don´t work

 ideas?

testutf8=# \set
VERSION = 'PostgreSQL 8.1.0 on i386-pc-linux-gnu,
compiled by GCC cc (GCC) 3.3.5
                     (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)'
AUTOCOMMIT = 'on'
VERBOSITY = 'default'
PROMPT1 = '%/%R%# '
PROMPT2 = '%/%R%# '
PROMPT3 = '>> '
DBNAME = 'testutf8'
USER = 'marcelo'
HOST = '/var/run/sume'
PORT = '5432'
ENCODING = 'UTF8'
HISTSIZE = '500'
testutf8=# select upper('ñ');
ERROR:  invalid UTF-8 byte sequence detected near byte
0xf1
testutf8=#

 ideas?
 best regards
  MDC

Esa persona especial te espera en Yahoo! Encuentros.
¡Dejate encontrar!
http://ar.encuentros.yahoo.com/

Re: encoding bug or feature?

Дата:
marcelo Cortez <jmdc_marcelo@yahoo.com.ar> writes:
> testutf8=# \set
> ENCODING = 'UTF8'
> HISTSIZE = '500'
> testutf8=# select upper('�');
> ERROR:  invalid UTF-8 byte sequence detected near byte
> 0xf1
> testutf8=#

You're telling the system that your client encoding is utf8, but
it looks from here like you're using some LatinN encoding.
Try "\encoding latin1" or whatever it is your keyboard is generating.

            regards, tom lane

Re: encoding bug or feature?

От
marcelo Cortez
Дата:
Tom , folks

 I've  recreated the database with --locale=es_AR
keyword
 and all works fine

 thanks a lot.

 best