Обсуждение: 8.1 on gentoo

8.1 on gentoo

От
Sim Zacks
Дата:
Does anybody know when postgresql 8.1 will be considered stable on
gentoo for x86?
Another question would be does anybody know of any instability of
postgresql 8.1 unstable for gentoo x86?
Does anybody have it working in a production environment?

Re: 8.1 on gentoo

От
Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
I wouldn't expect a version marked stable will be out any time soon.
http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=postgresql

I haven't ckeck whether this version is avaliable as a masked ebuild.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

--- Sim Zacks <sim@compulab.co.il> wrote:

> Does anybody know when postgresql 8.1 will be considered stable on
> gentoo for x86?
> Another question would be does anybody know of any instability of
> postgresql 8.1 unstable for gentoo x86?
> Does anybody have it working in a production environment?

>        match

Re: 8.1 on gentoo

От
"Holger Hoffstaette"
Дата:
On Thu, 25 May 2006 08:55:51 +0200, Sim Zacks wrote:

> Does anybody know when postgresql 8.1 will be considered stable on gentoo
> for x86?

No, maybe ask in gentoo-users or -dev? Anyway just because it's not marked
"stable" does not mean it isn't. It's very unfortunate that distributions
have adopted these terms because more often than not they have absolutely
nothing to do with the *runtime* stability of the software.

> Another question would be does anybody know of any instability of
> postgresql 8.1 unstable for gentoo x86?

~x86 works just fine. How could it not? It's just the same as compiling
yourself - which is considered to be acceptable, if not good, practice on
all other platforms and distributions too. If a particular build would be
totally broken/untested/known to eat your soul it would be hardmasked.

-h

Re: 8.1 on gentoo

От
Tim Allen
Дата:
Holger Hoffstaette wrote:
> On Thu, 25 May 2006 08:55:51 +0200, Sim Zacks wrote:
>
>>Does anybody know when postgresql 8.1 will be considered stable on gentoo
>>for x86?
>
> No, maybe ask in gentoo-users or -dev? Anyway just because it's not marked
> "stable" does not mean it isn't. It's very unfortunate that distributions
> have adopted these terms because more often than not they have absolutely
> nothing to do with the *runtime* stability of the software.

Presumably the stable status is more to do with all the packages that
depend on postgres, rather than postgres itself. I guess the reason it
hasn't been marked stable yet is just lack of round tuits for someone to
test all the other packages.

>>Another question would be does anybody know of any instability of
>>postgresql 8.1 unstable for gentoo x86?
>
> ~x86 works just fine. How could it not? It's just the same as compiling
> yourself - which is considered to be acceptable, if not good, practice on
> all other platforms and distributions too. If a particular build would be
> totally broken/untested/known to eat your soul it would be hardmasked.
>
> -h

Tim

Tim Allen          tim@proximity.com.au
Proximity Pty Ltd  http://www.proximity.com.au/

Re: 8.1 on gentoo

От
Kenneth Downs
Tim Allen wrote:

> Holger Hoffstaette wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 May 2006 08:55:51 +0200, Sim Zacks wrote:
>>
>>> Does anybody know when postgresql 8.1 will be considered stable on
>>> gentoo
>>> for x86?
>>

>> No, maybe ask in gentoo-users or -dev? Anyway just because it's not
>> marked
>> "stable" does not mean it isn't. It's very unfortunate that
>> distributions
>> have adopted these terms because more often than not they have
>> absolutely
>> nothing to do with the *runtime* stability of the software.

We've been running 8.1 on gentoo almost since it came out into the ~x86
tree, and have had no problems.

Not very scientific, but thats our experience, for what its worth....

Вложения