Обсуждение: Queries with Regular Expressions

Queries with Regular Expressions

От
"Silas Justiniano"
Дата:
Hello!

My queries work fine with Regular Expressions, as:

SELECT field FROM table WHERE field ~ 'something';
SELECT field FROM table WHERE field ~* 'something';
SELECT field FROM table WHERE field ~* 'som[i,e]thing';

And it works fine for special characters:
SELECT field FROM table WHERE field ~* 'chão';

But I just can't make it work correctly using brackets:
SELECT field FROM table WHERE field ~* 'ch[aã]o';

It just returns tuples that have 'chao', but not 'chão'.

My queries are utf-8 an the database is SQL_ASCII.

Any idea? Thank you!

--
Silas Justiniano - Brazil

Re: Queries with Regular Expressions

От
"John D. Burger"
Дата:
> But I just can't make it work correctly using brackets:
> SELECT field FROM table WHERE field ~* 'ch[aã]o';
>
> It just returns tuples that have 'chao', but not 'chão'.
>
> My queries are utf-8 an the database is SQL_ASCII.

I suspect the bracketed expression is turning into [aXY], where XY is
the two-byte sequence corresponding to ã in UTF8.  So the regular
expression is only going to match strings of the form chao, chXo and
chYo.  To make sure that this is what's happening, try this:

   select length('ã');

I bet you get back 2, not 1.  I don't know if a UTF8 database will
handle this correctly or not.  The safest thing to do may be to use
queries like this:

   SELECT field FROM table WHERE field ~* 'ch(a|ã)o';

- John D. Burger
   MITRE

Re: Queries with Regular Expressions

Дата:
"John D. Burger" <john@mitre.org> writes:
>> My queries are utf-8 an the database is SQL_ASCII.

> I suspect the bracketed expression is turning into [aXY], where XY is
> the two-byte sequence corresponding to � in UTF8.

That's what it looks like to me.  You can hardly blame the database for
this, when you haven't clued it in that you're using UTF8.

> I don't know if a UTF8 database will handle this correctly or not.

I believe that it will work in recent PG releases (7.4 and up).

            regards, tom lane

Re: Queries with Regular Expressions

От
"Silas Justiniano"
Дата:
John, it worked completely fine! Thank you! I don't understand exactly
the difference between [] and () for REs, but I'm starting to study
them deeply.

Thank you very much! Pg is great!

--
Silas Justiniano - Brazil