Обсуждение: Update value to "the first character is capital and the rest is small"

Update value to "the first character is capital and the rest is small"

От
Emi Lu
Дата:
Hello all,

Does anyone have available plpgsql codes to update all capital letters
in a column to "the first character is capital and the rest is small" ?

For example, in tableA(id, description)
001,  'ZHANG ZHE XIN'                                              =>
'Zhang Zhe Xin'
002,  'LIU, WEI-HUAI'
=>    'Liu, Wei-Huai'
003,  'GU & WEI. NAN (CE SHI) & TOMMORROW'      =>   'Gu & Wei. Nan (Ce
Shi) & Tommorrow'

Thanks a lot!
Ying

Re: [SQL] Update value to "the first character is capital and the rest is small"

От
Alvaro Herrera
Emi Lu wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone have available plpgsql codes to update all capital letters
> in a column to "the first character is capital and the rest is small" ?

I don't know about plpgsql codes, but there is a function initcap() that
you can use for that.

alvherre=# select initcap('GU & WEI. NAN (CE SHI) & TOMMORROW');
              initcap
------------------------------------
 Gu & Wei. Nan (Ce Shi) & Tommorrow
(1 row)

Re: Update value to "the first character is capital and

От
Emi Lu
Дата:
I got the answer from the docs. |initcap|(text)

thanks anyway,
Ying

> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone have available plpgsql codes to update all capital letters
> in a column to "the first character is capital and the rest is small" ?
>
> For example, in tableA(id, description)
> 001,  'ZHANG ZHE XIN'
> =>    'Zhang Zhe Xin'
> 002,  'LIU, WEI-HUAI'
> =>    'Liu, Wei-Huai'
> 003,  'GU & WEI. NAN (CE SHI) & TOMMORROW'      =>   'Gu & Wei. Nan
> (Ce Shi) & Tommorrow'
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Ying

Re: Update value to "the first character is capital and

От
John Sidney-Woollett
Дата:
Have you tried the initcap function?