Обсуждение: programatic database dump

programatic database dump

От
"Tomi NA"
Дата:
I'd like to dump a postgresql database from my (java) app and copy the dump file to the client machine.
This backup strategy prooved invalueable in the past (given enough room on the harddrives, which I have) and I'd like to implement it now with postgresql.
Is there something like a system stored procedure that does something like that I can use? Calling pg_dump seems like a bad hack: I'd like to keep communication at the java<->sql level if possible. I'll probably bare it, but I'd like to check if I've missed something, first.

TIA,
Tomislav

Re: programatic database dump

От
Reid Thompson
Tomi NA wrote:
> I'd like to dump a postgresql database from my (java) app and copy the
> dump file to the client machine.
> This backup strategy prooved invalueable in the past (given enough
> room on the harddrives, which I have) and I'd like to implement it now
> with postgresql.
> Is there something like a system stored procedure that does something
> like that I can use? Calling pg_dump seems like a bad hack: I'd like
> to keep communication at the java<->sql level if possible. I'll
> probably bare it, but I'd like to check if I've missed something, first.
>
> TIA,
> Tomislav
might help...
test=# \h copy
Command:     COPY
Syntax:
COPY tablename [ ( column [, ...] ) ]
    FROM { 'filename' | STDIN }
    [ [ WITH ]
          [ BINARY ]
          [ OIDS ]
          [ DELIMITER [ AS ] 'delimiter' ]
          [ NULL [ AS ] 'null string' ]
          [ CSV [ QUOTE [ AS ] 'quote' ]
                [ ESCAPE [ AS ] 'escape' ]
                [ FORCE NOT NULL column [, ...] ]

COPY tablename [ ( column [, ...] ) ]
    TO { 'filename' | STDOUT }
    [ [ WITH ]
          [ BINARY ]
          [ OIDS ]
          [ DELIMITER [ AS ] 'delimiter' ]
          [ NULL [ AS ] 'null string' ]
          [ CSV [ QUOTE [ AS ] 'quote' ]
                [ ESCAPE [ AS ] 'escape' ]
                [ FORCE QUOTE column [, ...] ]

Re: programatic database dump

От
"Michael Schmidt"
Дата:
I've been working on this issue lately.  There is quite a bit more to a database than the tables (e.g., functions), and I'm not sure how you would go about getting a backup of the entire database through SQL.  I've been working on a Java class to do the dump and restore.  It doesn't look terribly hard.

However, having said that, I wonder if someone could answer something.  How do pg_dump and pg_restore use stdout and stderr?  I saw a very old post that indicated -v caused all output to go to stderr.  I couldn't find anything recent and nothing in the manual.

Thanks!
Michael Schmidt