Обсуждение: Backup file extension

Backup file extension

От
"Michael Schmidt"
Дата:
I am writing a client GUI application and am adding backup/restore features.  I noticed that different backup file extensions are used for PostgreSQL - pgAdmin uses .backup (possible problem because it is not consistent with 8.3 file names) and PG Lightning Admin uses .bak (possible problem because it is generic).  To reduce the chance of the user making an error, I was wondering if it would make sense to standardize PostgreSQL backup file extension names - something like .pgb (PostgreSQL Backup).  I Googled pgb and it doesn't look like anything uses this extension.

Just a thought.

Michael Schmidt

Re: Backup file extension

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 12:15, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> I am writing a client GUI application and am adding backup/restore
> features.  I noticed that different backup file extensions are used
> for PostgreSQL - pgAdmin uses .backup (possible problem because it is
> not consistent with 8.3 file names) and PG Lightning Admin uses .bak
> (possible problem because it is generic).  To reduce the chance of the
> user making an error, I was wondering if it would make sense to
> standardize PostgreSQL backup file extension names - something like
> .pgb (PostgreSQL Backup).  I Googled pgb and it doesn't look like
> anything uses this extension.

I've always used .sql.  Just saying.

Re: Backup file extension

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, michaelmschmidt@msn.com ("Michael Schmidt") belched out:
> I am writing a client GUI application and am adding backup/restore
> features.  I noticed that different backup file extensions are used
> for PostgreSQL - pgAdmin uses .backup (possible problem because it
> is not consistent with 8.3 file names) and PG Lightning Admin uses
> .bak (possible problem because it is generic).  To reduce the chance
> of the user making an error, I was wondering if it would make sense
> to standardize PostgreSQL backup file extension names - something
> like .pgb (PostgreSQL Backup).  I Googled pgb and it doesn't look
> like anything uses this extension.

Well, Unix doesn't have any notion of "extensions."  That's something
for legacy operating systems, like MVS, CP/M, MS/DOS, and such.

On modern OSes, they generally simply support having long names, and
you are free to use whatever prefix/suffix combinations you prefer.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/rdbms.html