Обсуждение: Re: I see this as the end of BDB in MySQL without a doubt.

Re: I see this as the end of BDB in MySQL without a doubt.

От
TJ O'Donnell
Дата:
"Chad" <chadzakary@hotmail.com> wrote:
"What we need now is an open source DB with clean APIs into various
places in the software stack (eg we need a Berkeley DB kind of API
under the hood into something like Postgres) A full bells and whistles
relational DB with these low level ACCESS APIs will be a powerfull
thing in the future. PostgreSQL take note. If you don't already have it
you should begin exposing such a thing today in my humble opinion."

I am quite happy with the c-language API for postgres, as far as it's
capabilities and access to low-level postgres.  OK, the docs and examples could
be better.  Am I missing something in Chad's comments/warnings or is he
missing something in not understanding pg better?
Chad, could you say more about what in the BDB/API is missing and needed in postgres?

Could it be that Oracle's recent company purchases were intended simply to confuse
people about the future of MySQL and therefore ecourage them to select Oracle?

TJ O'Donnell
http://www.gnova.com/

Re: I see this as the end of BDB in MySQL without a

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 14:34, TJ O'Donnell wrote:
> "Chad" <chadzakary@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "What we need now is an open source DB with clean APIs into various
> places in the software stack (eg we need a Berkeley DB kind of API
> under the hood into something like Postgres) A full bells and whistles
> relational DB with these low level ACCESS APIs will be a powerfull
> thing in the future. PostgreSQL take note. If you don't already have it
> you should begin exposing such a thing today in my humble opinion."
>
> I am quite happy with the c-language API for postgres, as far as it's
> capabilities and access to low-level postgres.  OK, the docs and examples could
> be better.  Am I missing something in Chad's comments/warnings or is he
> missing something in not understanding pg better?
> Chad, could you say more about what in the BDB/API is missing and needed in postgres?
>
> Could it be that Oracle's recent company purchases were intended simply to confuse
> people about the future of MySQL and therefore ecourage them to select Oracle?

Yeah, plus, besides PostgreSQL's front-end C api (libpqxx) there's the
backend api, which can be programmed with the C language directly, and
used to do things like write triggers and all that.

I'm not sure what more Chad could want there either.  Hell, you could
spend a lifetime just exploring some small part of it.

Re: I see this as the end of BDB in MySQL without a

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 02:45:07PM -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Yeah, plus, besides PostgreSQL's front-end C api (libpqxx) there's the
> backend api, which can be programmed with the C language directly, and
> used to do things like write triggers and all that.
>
> I'm not sure what more Chad could want there either.  Hell, you could
> spend a lifetime just exploring some small part of it.

Maybe the "spend a liftime" part is the problem ;-)

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: I see this as the end of BDB in MySQL without a doubt.

От
"Chad"
Дата:
TJ,

I will go back and study the PG backend API (its been a while since I
last looked at it) and get back to you. I was assuming rather than
stating that it didnt meet my needs. Do you have a link to its docs?

BDBs basic C API is what I am talking about and particularly the
abililty for fine grained seeking along leaf nodes, even by row number
in certain types of BTrees.

Ciaran