Обсуждение: Trying to auto start Postgres when server boots up

Trying to auto start Postgres when server boots up

От
"Shahid Butt"
Дата:
Hi,

I am using PostgreSQL 7.4.7 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.

I want to start the Postgres Postmaster automatically when the server
boots up.
I have tried putting the command
"/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l
/usr/local/pgsql/data/server.log start"
In the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file but when the server boots up it gets
stuck at the point "Enabling swap space   [OK]".
Usually the Red Hat desktop would come up but it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Shahid Butt
IT Systems Developer

shahid.butt@nccedu.com

Re: Trying to auto start Postgres when server boots up

От
"Jonel Rienton"
Дата:
This might be trivial, but, shouldn't you su to the user(postgres or
whatever you used) that's supposed to run the postmaster?

I am using PostgreSQL 7.4.7 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.

I want to start the Postgres Postmaster automatically when the server boots
up.
I have tried putting the command
"/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l
/usr/local/pgsql/data/server.log start"
In the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file but when the server boots up it gets
stuck at the point "Enabling swap space   [OK]".
Usually the Red Hat desktop would come up but it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Shahid Butt
IT Systems Developer

shahid.butt@nccedu.com

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Trying to auto start Postgres when server boots up

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
> I am using PostgreSQL 7.4.7 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
>
> I want to start the Postgres Postmaster automatically when the server
> boots up.
> I have tried putting the command
> "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/server.log start"
> In the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file but when the server boots up it gets
> stuck at the point "Enabling swap space   [OK]".
> Usually the Red Hat desktop would come up but it doesn't.
>
> Any ideas?

I'd be inclined to put a startup script in /etc/init.d, which accepts
start and stop arguments, and then put the appropriate links into, oh,
probably /etc/rc3.d to point to the /etc/init.d script.

/etc/rc3.d/S99postgresql would point to /etc/init.d/postgresql; as
would also /etc/rc3.d/K99postgresql.

That's how you're supposed to add services...
--
output = reverse("moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/x.html

Re: Trying to auto start Postgres when server boots up

От
rama krishna
Дата:
On 2/6/06, Shahid Butt <Shahid.Butt@nccedu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using PostgreSQL 7.4.7 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
>
> I want to start the Postgres Postmaster automatically when the server
> boots up.
> I have tried putting the command
> "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/server.log start"
> In the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file but when the server boots up it gets
> stuck at the point "Enabling swap space   [OK]".
> Usually the Red Hat desktop would come up but it doesn't.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Regards,
>
> Shahid Butt
> IT Systems Developer
>
> shahid.butt@nccedu.com

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

 You use the command 'ntsysv' in the terminal of u'r linux
 This command will display all the services which are to start when
the system boots up.
 You select 'postgresql' with the help of spacebar and then select 'ok'.

Re: Trying to auto start Postgres when server boots up

Дата:
"Shahid Butt" <Shahid.Butt@nccedu.com> writes:
> I am using PostgreSQL 7.4.7 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.

> I want to start the Postgres Postmaster automatically when the server
> boots up.

If you're using an RPM distribution then you shouldn't need to muck with
rc.local.  The startup files are there, you just have to enable them.

    sudo /sbin/service postgresql start
    sudo /sbin/chkconfig postgresql on

            regards, tom lane