Обсуждение: Primary keys for companies and people

Primary keys for companies and people

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
Hello, all!

Recently there was quite a bit of discussion regarding surrogate keys
and natural keys. I'm not interested in discussing the pros and cons
of surrogate keys. What I'd like to find out are the different
methods people actually use to uniquely identify companies and people
*besides* surrogate keys.

I'm currently working on an application that will include contact
information, so being able to uniquely identify these two entities is
of interest to me. Right now I'm thinking of uniquely identifying
companies by telephone number. For example:

create table companies (
    company_id integer primary key -- telephone number, not serial
    , company_name text not null
);

Of course, the company may have more than one telephone number
associated with it, so there will also be a table associating
telephone numbers and companies.

create table companies__telephone_numbers (
    company_id integer not null
        references companies (company_id)
        on update cascade on delete cascade
    , telephone_number integer not null
    , unique (company_id, telephone_number)
);

There should also be a trigger that will check that the company_id
matches an existing telephone number associated with the company,
something like:

create function assert_company_id_telephone_number_exists
returns trigger
language plpgsql as $$
begin
if exists (
    select company_id
    from companies
    except
    select company_id
    from companies
    join companies__telephone_numbers on (company_id = telephone_number)
    )
then raise exception 'company_id must match existing company
telephone number';
end if;
return null;
end;
$$;

For people I'm more or less stumped. I can't think of a combination
of things that I know I'll be able to get from people that I'll want
to be able to add to the database. Starting off we'll have at least
7,000 individuals in the database, and I don't think that just family
and given names are going to be enough. I don't think we'll be able
to get telephone numbers for all of them, and definitely aren't going
to be getting birthdays for all.

I'm very interested to hear what other use in their applications for
holding people and companies.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: Primary keys for companies and people

От
"Leif B. Kristensen"
Дата:
On Thursday 02 February 2006 09:05, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

>For people I'm more or less stumped. I can't think of a combination
>of things that I know I'll be able to get from people that I'll want
>to be able to add to the database. Starting off we'll have at least
>7,000 individuals in the database, and I don't think that just family
>and given names are going to be enough. I don't think we'll be able
>to get telephone numbers for all of them, and definitely aren't going
>to be getting birthdays for all.
>
>I'm very interested to hear what other use in their applications for
>holding people and companies.

I've been thinking long and hard about the same thing myself, in
developing my genealogy database. For identification of people, there
seems to be no realistic alternative to an arbitrary ID number.

Still, I'm struggling with the basic concept of /identity/, eg. is the
William Smith born to John Smith and Jane Doe in 1733, the same William
Smith who marries Mary Jones in the same parish in 1758? You may never
really know. Still, collecting such disparate "facts" under the same ID
number, thus taking the identity more or less for granted, is the modus
operandi of computer genealogy. Thus, one of the major objectives of
genealogy research, the assertion of identity, becomes totally hidden
the moment that you decide to cluster disparate evidence about what may
actually have been totally different persons, under a single ID number.

The alternative is of course to collect each cluster of evidence under a
separate ID, but then the handling of a "person" becomes a programmer's
nightmare.

I have been writing about my genealogy data model here:
<url:http://solumslekt.org/forays/blue.php> The model has been slightly
modified since I wrote this; due to what I perceive as 'gotchas' in the
PostgreSQL implementation of table inheritance, I have dropped the
'citations' table. Besides, I've dropped some of the surrogate keys,
and more will follow. I really should update this article soon.

I should perhaps be posting this under another subject, but I feel that
beneath the surface, Michael's problem and my own are strongly related.
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE

Re: Primary keys for companies and people

От
David Goodenough
Дата:
On Thursday 02 February 2006 09:07, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
> On Thursday 02 February 2006 09:05, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> >For people I'm more or less stumped. I can't think of a combination
> >of things that I know I'll be able to get from people that I'll want
> >to be able to add to the database. Starting off we'll have at least
> >7,000 individuals in the database, and I don't think that just family
> >and given names are going to be enough. I don't think we'll be able
> >to get telephone numbers for all of them, and definitely aren't going
> >to be getting birthdays for all.
> >
> >I'm very interested to hear what other use in their applications for
> >holding people and companies.
>
> I've been thinking long and hard about the same thing myself, in
> developing my genealogy database. For identification of people, there
> seems to be no realistic alternative to an arbitrary ID number.
>
> Still, I'm struggling with the basic concept of /identity/, eg. is the
> William Smith born to John Smith and Jane Doe in 1733, the same William
> Smith who marries Mary Jones in the same parish in 1758? You may never
> really know. Still, collecting such disparate "facts" under the same ID
> number, thus taking the identity more or less for granted, is the modus
> operandi of computer genealogy. Thus, one of the major objectives of
> genealogy research, the assertion of identity, becomes totally hidden
> the moment that you decide to cluster disparate evidence about what may
> actually have been totally different persons, under a single ID number.
>
> The alternative is of course to collect each cluster of evidence under a
> separate ID, but then the handling of a "person" becomes a programmer's
> nightmare.
>
> I have been writing about my genealogy data model here:
> <url:http://solumslekt.org/forays/blue.php> The model has been slightly
> modified since I wrote this; due to what I perceive as 'gotchas' in the
> PostgreSQL implementation of table inheritance, I have dropped the
> 'citations' table. Besides, I've dropped some of the surrogate keys,
> and more will follow. I really should update this article soon.
>
> I should perhaps be posting this under another subject, but I feel that
> beneath the surface, Michael's problem and my own are strongly related.
There is also the problem that a name can change.  People change names
by deed-poll, and also women can adopt a married name or keep their old
one.  All in all an ID is about the only answer.

David

Re: Primary keys for companies and people

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:36:54AM +0000, David Goodenough wrote:
> > Still, I'm struggling with the basic concept of /identity/, eg. is the
> > William Smith born to John Smith and Jane Doe in 1733, the same William
> > Smith who marries Mary Jones in the same parish in 1758? You may never
> > really know. Still, collecting such disparate "facts" under the same ID
> > number, thus taking the identity more or less for granted, is the modus
> > operandi of computer genealogy. Thus, one of the major objectives of
> > genealogy research, the assertion of identity, becomes totally hidden
> > the moment that you decide to cluster disparate evidence about what may
> > actually have been totally different persons, under a single ID number.
> >
> > The alternative is of course to collect each cluster of evidence under a
> > separate ID, but then the handling of a "person" becomes a programmer's
> > nightmare.

> There is also the problem that a name can change.  People change names
> by deed-poll, and also women can adopt a married name or keep their old
> one.  All in all an ID is about the only answer.

True, the issue being ofcourse that changing a name doesn't change
their identity.

To the GP, your page is an interesting one and raises several
interesting points. In particular the one about the "person" being the
conclusion of the rest of the database. You essentially have a set of
facts "A married B in C on date D" and you're trying to correlate
these. In the end it's just a certain amount of guess work, especially
since back then they wern't that particular about spelling as they are
today.

My naive view is that you're basically assigning trust values to each
fact and the chance that two citations refer to the same person. In
principle you'd be able to cross-reference all these citations and
build the structure quasi-automatically. I suppose in practice this is
done by hand.

As for your question, I think you're stuck with having a person ID.
Basically because you need to identify a person somehow. Given you
still have the original citiations, you can split a person into
multiple if the situation appears to not work out.

One thing I find odd though, your "person" objects have no birthdate or
deathdate. Or birth place either. I would have thought these elements
would be fundamental in determining if two people are the same, given
that they can't change and people are unlikely to forget them.

Put another way, two people with the same birthday in the same place
with similar names are very likely to be the same. If you can
demostrate this is not the case that's another fact. In the end you're
dealing with probabilities, you can never know for sure.

Anyway, hope this helps. It's a subject I've been vaguely interested in
but never really had the time to look into.

Have a nice day,

Re: Primary keys for companies and people

От
"Ted Byers"
Дата: