Обсуждение: Postgres Disconnection problems

Postgres Disconnection problems

От
"Otto Blomqvist"
Дата:
Hi,

We are using PostgresDAC 2.2.1 and PostgreSQL 8.0.2 on
i386-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC i386-redhat-linux-gcc (GCC) 4.0.0
20050412 (Red Hat 4.0.0-0.42).

I perform a simple test as follows.

1. I connect to the database, which is located on a LAN.

2. I simulate Internet problems by unplugging the Ethernet cable of the
client. There is no PSQL activity going on.

3. Plug the ethernet cable back in

4. Run some sql, which gives me a Postgres SQL error -1, Server closed
connection unexpectedly

So far so good. Problem is that the postmaster does not detect this
connection as dead and keeps it idle for an unknown amount of time. This is
a real problem for us because we use persistent connections to authorize
access to a custom built 68030 based system, which has a limited number of
"slots" that we can use. By not releasing a dead connection we are also
holding that 68030 slot busy.

We could develop some kind of watchdog timer in the Daemon that handles the
authorization but I was wondering if Postgres already have something similar
built in.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

/Otto Blomqvist

Re: Postgres Disconnection problems

Дата:
"Otto Blomqvist" <o.blomqvist@secomintl.com> writes:
> So far so good. Problem is that the postmaster does not detect this
> connection as dead and keeps it idle for an unknown amount of time. This is
> a real problem for us because we use persistent connections to authorize
> access to a custom built 68030 based system, which has a limited number of
> "slots" that we can use. By not releasing a dead connection we are also
> holding that 68030 slot busy.

PG 8.1 lets you fool with the TCP keepalive timeouts, if you are on a
platform that allows per-connection adjustment of them (which recent
Linuxen do).

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres Disconnection problems

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 18:51, Otto Blomqvist wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using PostgresDAC 2.2.1 and PostgreSQL 8.0.2 on
> i386-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC i386-redhat-linux-gcc (GCC) 4.0.0
> 20050412 (Red Hat 4.0.0-0.42).
>
> I perform a simple test as follows.
>
> 1. I connect to the database, which is located on a LAN.
>
> 2. I simulate Internet problems by unplugging the Ethernet cable of the
> client. There is no PSQL activity going on.
>
> 3. Plug the ethernet cable back in
>
> 4. Run some sql, which gives me a Postgres SQL error -1, Server closed
> connection unexpectedly
>
> So far so good. Problem is that the postmaster does not detect this
> connection as dead and keeps it idle for an unknown amount of time. This is
> a real problem for us because we use persistent connections to authorize
> access to a custom built 68030 based system, which has a limited number of
> "slots" that we can use. By not releasing a dead connection we are also
> holding that 68030 slot busy.

The real issue here is that TCP keepalive keeps the connection alive for
a long time.  The default on linux boxen is 2+hours.  In our production
environment, we dropped tcp_keepalive to 5 minutes.  There are four
settings in the linux kernel:

net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 75
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 9
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 500

the keepalive_time tells the kernel how long to wait to "ping" a
connection after it's gone quiet.  The probes and intvl tell it how many
times to try and re-awaken it and how long to wait between each. So,
with the settings shown above, a dead connection will wait 8.3 minutes,
then execute a "ping" (not really a ping, it's on a lower level than a
real ping would be) and then will wait 1.25 minutes and do it 9 times.
So, in this scenario, an idle connection left from a network failure
will take just under 20 minutes to clear.