Обсуждение: PostgreSQL on 64-bit operating systems

PostgreSQL on 64-bit operating systems

От
"Craig"
Дата:
Hi

I am going to be hosting a PostgreSQL database on a new server. We will be purchasing a server with the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor.
We are now posed with a choice of "FreeBSD 5.4" or "FreeBSD 5.4 x86_64Bit". My question is: Will PostgreSQL 8.04 run perfectly on a 64-bit OS, or should I run the 32 bit OS for now?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Craig

Re: PostgreSQL on 64-bit operating systems

От
Sven Willenberger
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 22:00 +0200, Craig wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am going to be hosting a PostgreSQL database on a new server. We
> will be purchasing a server with the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor.
> We are now posed with a choice of "FreeBSD 5.4" or "FreeBSD 5.4
> x86_64Bit". My question is: Will PostgreSQL 8.04 run perfectly on a
> 64-bit OS, or should I run the 32 bit OS for now?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated

Runs perfectly fine on 5.4-Release AMD64 here, built straight from
ports.

Sven

Re: PostgreSQL on 64-bit operating systems

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 14:52, Sven Willenberger wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 22:00 +0200, Craig wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am going to be hosting a PostgreSQL database on a new server. We
> > will be purchasing a server with the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor.
> > We are now posed with a choice of "FreeBSD 5.4" or "FreeBSD 5.4
> > x86_64Bit". My question is: Will PostgreSQL 8.04 run perfectly on a
> > 64-bit OS, or should I run the 32 bit OS for now?
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated
> >

> Runs perfectly fine on 5.4-Release AMD64 here, built straight from
> ports.

Keep in mind that AMD64 is just one of many 64 bit environments that
postgresql can compile in and run on in 64 bit mode.  So, it's not an
entirely new thing or something like that.

Any problems are more likely to be due to problems in the 64 bit
libraries in the system surrounding it, and those PostgreSQL can't vouch
for.

Problem with UPDATE .. FROM syntax. please help

От
David Gagnon
Дата:
Hi all,

I mess around with this request below.  Has is I get the following error.
2005-11-01 16:08:41 ERROR:  JOIN/ON clause refers to "pd", which is not
part of JOIN

The error came from the following line:
    INNER JOIN BD ON PD.PDBDNUM = BD.BDNUM AND PD.PDYPNUM = BD.BDYPNUM

But when I remove the PD. I get
ERROR:  column "pdypnum" does not exist.

If I try to add BD in the FROM clause I get a
ERROR:  table name "pd" specified more than once

So is there a way I can make it work ?!

Thanks for your help :-)
/David

UPDATE PD SET PDSTOT = ROUND(PDCOUTNET * COALESCE(PDQRECUI,0), 2),
            PDTAXF = ROUND(((PDCOUTNET * COALESCE(PDQRECUI,0))::NUMERIC
* ICTPS::INT * BO.BOTAUXF / 100), 2),
            PDTAXP = ROUND((((PDCOUTNET * COALESCE(PDQRECUI,0))::NUMERIC
+ ATP.ATCALC::INT * ROUND(((PDCOUTNET * COALESCE(PDQRECUI,0))::NUMERIC *
ICTPS::INT * BO.BOTAUXF / 100), 2)) * COALESCE(IZ.IZTAXABLE,
ICTPROV)::INT * BO.BOTAUXP / 100), 2)
    FROM PO
    INNER JOIN BD ON PD.PDBDNUM = BD.BDNUM AND PD.PDYPNUM = BD.BDYPNUM
    INNER JOIN BO ON BD.BDBONUM = BO.BONUM AND BD.BDYPNUM = BO.BOYPNUM
    INNER JOIN IC ON BD.BDICNUM = IC.ICNUM
    LEFT OUTER JOIN IZ ON PO.POAPNUMF = IZ.IZAPNUM AND IC.ICNUM = IZ.IZICNUM
    WHERE PDPONUM = PO.PONUM AND PDYPNUM = PO.POYPNUM
     AND PDPONUM = id AND PDYPNUM = companyId;

INNER JOIN BD ON PD.PDBDNUM = BD.BDNUM AND PD.PDYPNUM = BD.BDYPNUM

Re: PostgreSQL on 64-bit operating systems

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 03:52:50PM -0500, Sven Willenberger wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 22:00 +0200, Craig wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am going to be hosting a PostgreSQL database on a new server. We
> > will be purchasing a server with the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor.
> > We are now posed with a choice of "FreeBSD 5.4" or "FreeBSD 5.4
> > x86_64Bit". My question is: Will PostgreSQL 8.04 run perfectly on a
> > 64-bit OS, or should I run the 32 bit OS for now?
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated
> >

> Runs perfectly fine on 5.4-Release AMD64 here, built straight from
> ports.

My understanding is that there is no 32 bit version of FBSD on Opterons;
as soon as buildworld sees it's on an Opteron everything goes 64 bit.

Re: PostgreSQL on 64-bit operating systems

От
Vlad
Дата:
I'd say go with 6.0-RELEASE - I just saw they tagged it few hours ago
in cvsup. there was an interview with Scott Long few weeks ago, he
recommended it over 5.* branch. just wait a couple of days for release
to be available on FTP.

http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35212

Also, I've been using 6.0-RC for a while, including AMDx64 platform - no issues.

--

Vlad

Re: PostgreSQL on 64-bit operating systems

От
"Guy Rouillier"
Craig wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am going to be hosting a PostgreSQL database on a new server. We
> will be purchasing a server with the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor.
> We are now posed with a choice of "FreeBSD 5.4" or "FreeBSD 5.4
> x86_64Bit". My question is: Will PostgreSQL 8.04 run perfectly on a
> 64-bit OS, or should I run the 32 bit OS for now?

AMD just announced new price cuts on Opterons.  You'd be better off,
generally, running a server on Opteron vs. Athlon 64.  And dual Opteron
would generally be better than single.

--
Guy Rouillier

Re: PostgreSQL on 64-bit operating systems

От
Brent Wood

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Craig wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am going to be hosting a PostgreSQL database on a new server. We will be purchasing a server with the AMD Athlon 64
3200+processor.
> We are now posed with a choice of "FreeBSD 5.4" or "FreeBSD 5.4 x86_64Bit". My question is: Will PostgreSQL 8.04 run
perfectlyon a 64-bit OS, or should I run the 32 bit OS for now?

> Any help will be greatly appreciated

I'm running 8.03 on SuSE 9.3 A64, compiled from source for a 64 bit
package. It seems fine, no problems over the 4 weeks or so I've had it
running. About a 5Gb database, with heavy Postgis use.

See http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2447&p=4

for some 32/64bit database benchmarks, unfortunately, not Postgres, but it
may still be of interest.

Brent Wood

Re: PostgreSQL on 64-bit operating systems

От
Vivek Khera
Дата:
On Nov 1, 2005, at 5:12 PM, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> My understanding is that there is no 32 bit version of FBSD on
> Opterons;
> as soon as buildworld sees it's on an Opteron everything goes 64 bit.

you would understand incorrectly, then. freebsd will never flip you
up to 64 bit world like that. it would break so many things it'd
leave your head spinning in shock if it did that.