Обсуждение: Postgres/Win32- Upgrade from 8.0.1 to 8.0.3 fails

Postgres/Win32- Upgrade from 8.0.1 to 8.0.3 fails

От
Claus Scherschel
Дата:
Hi folks at pgsql.admin,

I've Postgres 8.0.1 running natively under Windows XPpro SP2. I would
like to update to 8.0.3 using the upgrade-batchfile coming with the
zipped download file.
The installation stops when trying to install the service, saying the
Postgres 8.0 Database Service could not be installed. The current
account seems not have proper right to install services. Unfortunelty,
the current account is the Administrator-Account that has these rights.
Installing 8.0.1 a few months ago wasn't a problem at all.
I would be glad if there was a solution without deinstalling the older
version first.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Claus Scherschel.

Re: Postgres/Win32- Upgrade from 8.0.1 to 8.0.3 fails

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> Hi folks at pgsql.admin,
>
> I've Postgres 8.0.1 running natively under Windows XPpro SP2.
> I would like to update to 8.0.3 using the upgrade-batchfile
> coming with the zipped download file.
> The installation stops when trying to install the service,
> saying the Postgres 8.0 Database Service could not be
> installed. The current account seems not have proper right to
> install services. Unfortunelty, the current account is the
> Administrator-Account that has these rights.
> Installing 8.0.1 a few months ago wasn't a problem at all.
> I would be glad if there was a solution without deinstalling
> the older version first.

The way to do it is to deinstall the old version. What's the problem
with that? (it won't remove your data!)

//Magnus

Re: Postgres/Win32- Upgrade from 8.0.1 to 8.0.3 fails

От
Claus Scherschel
Дата:
Hi Magnus,

thanks for your answer.

> The way to do it is to deinstall the old version. What's the problem
> with that? (it won't remove your data!)

Well, maybe you're right. But why do that guys call it upgrade if it
doesn't upgrade!? I thought the purpose of updating mechanism was
easyness of upgrades.

Slightly fuzzed,
Claus.

Re: Postgres/Win32- Upgrade from 8.0.1 to 8.0.3 fails

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > The way to do it is to deinstall the old version. What's
> the problem
> > with that? (it won't remove your data!)
>
> Well, maybe you're right. But why do that guys call it
> upgrade if it doesn't upgrade!? I thought the purpose of
> updating mechanism was easyness of upgrades.

It usually *can* upgrade. But there are some times when it can't, and we
haven't quite figured out why.

//Magnus