Обсуждение: Hardware requirements

Hardware requirements

От
"Rafael Montoya"
Дата:
Hello everybody, i really need to know hardware requirements for installing
PostgreSQL 8.0.3.
I'm in a database migration project and it is important to work with the
appropiate hardware.
DB must work in windows. There are 50 tables aprox and data size is near 6
GB. Thank for your answers.
Rafael Montoya

Dale rienda suelta a tu tiempo libre. Encuentra mil ideas para exprimir tu
ocio con MSN Entretenimiento. http://entretenimiento.msn.es/

Re: Hardware requirements

От
Ben
Дата:
Unless you need all that data in ram (and you probably don't), then
any machine should be capable. The real questions are, how many
concurrent clients? How static is the data? What is your query
complexity?

On Sep 28, 2005, at 11:08 PM, Rafael Montoya wrote:

> Hello everybody, i really need to know hardware requirements for
> installing PostgreSQL 8.0.3.
> I'm in a database migration project and it is important to work
> with the appropiate hardware.
> DB must work in windows. There are 50 tables aprox and data size is
> near 6 GB. Thank for your answers.
> Rafael Montoya

> Dale rienda suelta a tu tiempo libre. Encuentra mil ideas para
> exprimir tu ocio con MSN Entretenimiento. http://
> entretenimiento.msn.es/
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Hardware requirements

От
"Rafael Montoya"
Дата:
Ok, there are about 15 concurrent clients inserting and  updating data, and
20 concurrent clients only consulting.
I dont need all data in ram, of course, hehe, but i really have no idea
what's the minimum of ram for having fast answers for about 2000
transactions in a day.
Almost all queries need to read  more than 7 or 8 tables each time.
It will work in a  Windows 2000 Server. I need to know whats the appropiate
hardware, because im sure its not necessary to buy a powerful server if a
not so powerful one can have a good performance too. I will really
appreciate any help.
Rafael Montoya

>From: Ben <bench@silentmedia.com>
>To: "Rafael Montoya" <rafo-mm@hotmail.com>
>CC: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Hardware requirements
>Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:30:06 -0700
>
>Unless you need all that data in ram (and you probably don't), then  any
>machine should be capable. The real questions are, how many  concurrent
>clients? How static is the data? What is your query  complexity?
>
>On Sep 28, 2005, at 11:08 PM, Rafael Montoya wrote:
>
>>Hello everybody, i really need to know hardware requirements for
>>installing PostgreSQL 8.0.3.
>>I'm in a database migration project and it is important to work  with the
>>appropiate hardware.
>>DB must work in windows. There are 50 tables aprox and data size is  near
>>6 GB. Thank for your answers.
>>Rafael Montoya

>>Dale rienda suelta a tu tiempo libre. Encuentra mil ideas para  exprimir
>>tu ocio con MSN Entretenimiento. http:// entretenimiento.msn.es/
>>

>>---------------------------(end of  broadcast)---------------------------
>>TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

>TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Descubre la descarga digital con MSN Music. Más de medio millón de
canciones. http://music.msn.es/

Re: Hardware requirements

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  29.09.2005, um  9:20:00 +0200 mailte Rafael Montoya folgendes:
> Ok, there are about 15 concurrent clients inserting and  updating data, and
> 20 concurrent clients only consulting.
> I dont need all data in ram, of course, hehe, but i really have no idea
> what's the minimum of ram for having fast answers for about 2000
> transactions in a day.
> Almost all queries need to read  more than 7 or 8 tables each time.
> It will work in a  Windows 2000 Server. I need to know whats the appropiate
> hardware, because im sure its not necessary to buy a powerful server if a
> not so powerful one can have a good performance too. I will really
> appreciate any help.

Substitute 'Windows 2000 Server' with 'Linux', so you can save money and
you can more money spend in RAM.

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer    (Kontakt: siehe Header)
Heynitz:  035242/47212,      D1: 0160/7141639

Re: Hardware requirements

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 09:20:00AM +0200, Rafael Montoya wrote:
> Ok, there are about 15 concurrent clients inserting and  updating data, and
> 20 concurrent clients only consulting.
> I dont need all data in ram, of course, hehe, but i really have no idea
> what's the minimum of ram for having fast answers for about 2000
> transactions in a day.

2000 transactions a day? We were doing over a million per day a few
years ago on a dual PII-350 with 256MB of RAM. As far as people are
concerned here, that's chicken feed. you might need a little more RAM
for the clients but really...

> Almost all queries need to read  more than 7 or 8 tables each time.
> It will work in a  Windows 2000 Server. I need to know whats the appropiate
> hardware, because im sure its not necessary to buy a powerful server if a
> not so powerful one can have a good performance too. I will really
> appreciate any help.

My suggestion, find a spare server you arn't using, and try it out.
That's the only way to be sure...