Обсуждение: Get postgresql workin in french...

Get postgresql workin in french...

От
Guy Doune
Дата:
Hi,

I would know how to set the encoding (unicode, ASCII,
etc.) for getting postgresql accepting my entry with
accent an all the what the french poeple put over
there caracter while they write...

Well thanks in advance.

Just leave me a links our try to explain it.

I gonna continu to search why it doesn't work...

Cesium

Re: Get postgresql workin in french...

От
Stephane Bortzmeyer
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 09:39:40AM -0400,
 Guy Doune <cesium5500@yahoo.ca> wrote
 a message of 28 lines which said:

> for getting postgresql accepting my entry with accent an all the
> what the french poeple put over there caracter while they write...

I use PostgreSQL with French data (names, addresses, etc).

> I gonna continu to search why it doesn't work...

You should give details such as commands attempted and error messages
obtained.

> I would know how to set the encoding (unicode, ASCII, etc.)

I use Unicode (actually, "UTF-8" would have been a better name)
because the database stores names in other languages, that you cannot
express with Latin-1.

I use the type TEXT and I can store and retrieve UTF-8 names (mostly
via Python programs) and basic operators like LIKE work fine (for
instance, _ matches one Unicode character, not one byte, which is
the right thing).

Re: Get postgresql workin in french...

От
Harald Fuchs
Дата:
In article <20050830133940.84685.qmail@web54008.mail.yahoo.com>,
Guy Doune <cesium5500@yahoo.ca> writes:

> Hi,
> I would know how to set the encoding (unicode, ASCII,
> etc.) for getting postgresql accepting my entry with
> accent an all the what the french poeple put over
> there caracter while they write...

French is covered both by Latin9 and Unicode.  Don't use Latin1 - it's
missing the French OE ligature.