Обсуждение: Apostrophe doesn't show up in command line

Apostrophe doesn't show up in command line

От
CSN
Дата:
In a field I have text like "in today's news..." When
I select that field in psql using putty (Latin-1),
then apostrophe doesn't show up (shows up as
"todays"), but it does show up in phppgadmin (and
other php programs). Is this an issue with psql, or
putty (or something else)?

Thanks,
CSN

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: Apostrophe doesn't show up in command line

От
Richard Huxton
CSN wrote:
> In a field I have text like "in today's news..." When
> I select that field in psql using putty (Latin-1),
> then apostrophe doesn't show up (shows up as
> "todays"), but it does show up in phppgadmin (and
> other php programs). Is this an issue with psql, or
> putty (or something else)?

It's an issue with your character-set settings somwhere along the line.
This sort of thing can be a real pain - you'll need to check every
component involved. Start at the Windows/putty end, and check what
character set phppgadmin is using (HINT: is it utf-8?)

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Apostrophe doesn't show up in command line

От
CSN
Дата:
--- Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:

> CSN wrote:
> > In a field I have text like "in today's news..."
> When
> > I select that field in psql using putty (Latin-1),
> > then apostrophe doesn't show up (shows up as
> > "todays"), but it does show up in phppgadmin (and
> > other php programs). Is this an issue with psql,
> or
> > putty (or something else)?
>
> It's an issue with your character-set settings
> somwhere along the line.
> This sort of thing can be a real pain - you'll need
> to check every
> component involved. Start at the Windows/putty end,
> and check what
> character set phppgadmin is using (HINT: is it
> utf-8?)

Hmm, how can you tell? I don't see character set
specified anywhere in phppgadmin (including
conf.inc.php).

CSN

http://mail.yahoo.com

CSN wrote:
>>and check what
>>character set phppgadmin is using (HINT: is it
>>utf-8?)
>

> Hmm, how can you tell? I don't see character set
> specified anywhere in phppgadmin (including
> conf.inc.php).

View > Character Encoding in firefox while you have a page open
View > Encoding in IE

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Apostrophe doesn't show up in command line

От
CSN
Дата:
Ah, it's Western ISO-8859-1. Putty has the same
setting. I tried changing putty's charset to UTF-8 and
now curly apostrophes are displayed as a grey box in
psql's output (e.g. "in today[box]s news...").

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs