Обсуждение: Database syncronization

Database syncronization

От
Lowell.Hought@faa.gov

What is the most effective method for syncronizing a database from a main to a backup machine?  I am now running 8.0.  Is it necessary to drop the database from the secondary machine and restore it from a dump of the primary?

Re: Database syncronization

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Lowell.Hought@faa.gov wrote:
> What is the most effective method for syncronizing a database from a main
> to a backup machine?  I am now running 8.0.  Is it necessary to drop the
> database from the secondary machine and restore it from a dump of the
> primary?

Depends on how often/up-to-date you want to be. In order of delay, they are:

1. pg_dump / pg_restore
2. PITR + WAL-file shipping
3. Replication (e.g. Slony)

Check the manuals for the first two. There are other replication
projects available if Slony isn't quite right for you.
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd