Обсуждение: (Win32 Postgres) Slow to Connect first - OK afterwards

(Win32 Postgres) Slow to Connect first - OK afterwards

От
"Scott cox"
Дата:
I am running PostgreSQL 8.0 on WinXP
When I try to connect

psql.exe"  -h localhost -p 5432 template1 "postgres"

I have to wait
30 seconds before the Password: Prompt arrives
30 seconds after the password is entered.
Once I am connected access is fast. I figured the problem is Authentication.

a.) I tried the following (pg_hba.conf) with no success/difference
# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
#host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
#local   all         all                               trust
## IPv4 local connections:
#host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5

b.) Installed QoS as suggested in a post in this list. No success

I am only using TCP/IP on localhost (127.0.0.1) - I am open to
suggestions and any recommendation of tools that would let me
figure out what is happening.

TIA
-Scott

Re: (Win32 Postgres) Slow to Connect first - OK afterwards

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On UNIX this generally suggests a DNS configuration problem (can't
lookup 127.0.0.1 in DNS).

That's all I can help you with here...

Hope this helps,

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 03:08:24PM +0000, Scott cox wrote:
> I am running PostgreSQL 8.0 on WinXP
> When I try to connect
>
> psql.exe"  -h localhost -p 5432 template1 "postgres"
>
> I have to wait
> 30 seconds before the Password: Prompt arrives
> 30 seconds after the password is entered.
> Once I am connected access is fast. I figured the problem is Authentication.
>
> a.) I tried the following (pg_hba.conf) with no success/difference
> # TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
> #host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
> #local   all         all                               trust
> ## IPv4 local connections:
> #host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
>
> b.) Installed QoS as suggested in a post in this list. No success
>
> I am only using TCP/IP on localhost (127.0.0.1) - I am open to
> suggestions and any recommendation of tools that would let me
> figure out what is happening.

Re: (Win32 Postgres) Slow to Connect first - OK afterwards

Дата:
"Scott cox" <sadcox66@hotmail.com> writes:
> I am running PostgreSQL 8.0 on WinXP
> When I try to connect

> psql.exe"  -h localhost -p 5432 template1 "postgres"

> I have to wait
> 30 seconds before the Password: Prompt arrives
> 30 seconds after the password is entered.
> Once I am connected access is fast. I figured the problem is Authentication.

Actually, I bet the problem is a broken DNS setup, causing psql to spend
30 seconds trying to resolve the hostname "localhost" before it gives up
and resorts to a different way of resolving the hostname.  Check your
DNS configuration --- for instance, are you pointing to a name server
that actually works?

            regards, tom lane

Re: (Win32 Postgres) Slow to Connect first - OK afterwards

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
Use  127.0.0.1 instead of localhost

In this case DNS is not used.

Andrus.

""Scott cox"" <sadcox66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am running PostgreSQL 8.0 on WinXP
> When I try to connect
>
> psql.exe"  -h localhost -p 5432 template1 "postgres"
>
> I have to wait
> 30 seconds before the Password: Prompt arrives
> 30 seconds after the password is entered.
> Once I am connected access is fast. I figured the problem is
> Authentication.
>
> a.) I tried the following (pg_hba.conf) with no success/difference
> # TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
> #host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
> #local   all         all                               trust
> ## IPv4 local connections:
> #host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
>
> b.) Installed QoS as suggested in a post in this list. No success
>
> I am only using TCP/IP on localhost (127.0.0.1) - I am open to
> suggestions and any recommendation of tools that would let me
> figure out what is happening.
>
> TIA
> -Scott

Re: (Win32 Postgres) Slow to Connect first - OK afterwards

От
"Scott cox"
Дата:
Andrus, Is correct. There is no DNS involved because I am using 127.0.0.1 in
my config
and when connecting. But there is still a ~60second delay connecting and
more delays
to return the select * query.

I have other servers using 127.0.0.1 like Apache,MySql and none have this
delay connecting and working so I am sure it is Postmaster related.

Any suggestions  on different configurations that I can try, pgSql is
unusable to me
if I cannot solve this issue and I need it pretty quick now.
TIA
Scott