Обсуждение: Re: FW: index bloat

Re: FW: index bloat

Дата:
"David Esposito" <pgsql-general@esposito.newnetco.com> writes:
>> BTW, the tail of the VACUUM VERBOSE output ought to have
>> something about
>> overall usage of the FSM --- what does that look like?

> INFO:  free space map: 528 relations, 172357 pages stored; 170096 total
> pages needed
> DETAIL:  Allocated FSM size: 10000 relations + 1000000 pages = 6511 kB
> shared memory.

OK, so you are definitely not running out of FSM slots...

I spent some time this morning trying to reproduce the bloating
behavior, without any success.  I made a table with a plain "serial
primary key" column, and ran a test program that did

    insert 10000 rows
    update about 10% of the rows at random
    if more than 500000 rows, delete the oldest 10000
    vacuum
    repeat

which is intended to emulate your daily cycle with about one-tenth
as much data (just to keep the runtime reasonable).  I didn't see
any bloat at all: the index growth looked like

INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 450000 row versions in 1374 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 460000 row versions in 1404 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 470000 row versions in 1435 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 480000 row versions in 1465 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 490000 row versions in 1496 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1527 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1557 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1588 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1588 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1589 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1589 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1589 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1589 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1589 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1589 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1589 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1589 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1590 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1590 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1590 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1590 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1590 pages
INFO:  index "t_pkey" now contains 500000 row versions in 1590 pages

and it never grew any larger than that even in several hundred "days".

This test was against CVS tip, but I'm pretty certain the relevant
algorithms were all the same in 7.4.  So there is some important
aspect in which this test does not replicate the conditions your
index is seeing.  Can you think of any way that I've missed capturing
your usage pattern?

            regards, tom lane

Re: index bloat

От
"David Esposito"
Дата:
First, thank you for spending so much time on this issue

Second, I think I might have found a good lead ... I replicated the test you
described below (minus the updating of 10% of the records) ... I've attached
the PHP script (I'm more proficient at writing PHP than a shell script; you
should be able to run it from the command line ('php -q bloat.test.php') as
long as you've created a db named 'test' first)

You're right that the index behavior is well-behaved with the cycle of
INSERT / DELETE / VACUUM ... But while it was running, I started a second
session to the database after the 60th iteration and did

BEGIN;
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM bigboy;
ROLLBACK;

During my transaction, I saw the relpages charge upwards steadily until I
issued the ROLLBACK .. but even after the ROLLBACK (and even after closing
the second DB connection), the pages weren't reclaimed on the next VACUUM

This sounds exactly like what may be happening to us ... This is a 24x7 app
so during the course of the VACUUM there are probably some open transactions
... Over the past 4 or 5 weeks, that could explain the steady unlimited
growth ...

Another funny thing to note: I was able to cause this same behavior if I did
the following:

psql template1
BEGIN;
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM pg_database;
ROLLBACK;
\q

FYI, I'm using the 8.0.1 RPM build for RHEL3 (2PGDG)

-dave

Вложения

Re: index bloat

Дата:
"David Esposito" <pgsql-general@esposito.newnetco.com> writes:
> You're right that the index behavior is well-behaved with the cycle of
> INSERT / DELETE / VACUUM ... But while it was running, I started a second
> session to the database after the 60th iteration and did

> BEGIN;
> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM bigboy;
> ROLLBACK;

> During my transaction, I saw the relpages charge upwards steadily until I
> issued the ROLLBACK ..

Sure.  VACUUM can't remove rows that might still be visible to any open
transaction, so sitting with an open transaction is going to effectively
disable VACUUM.  Client apps that hold open transactions for long
intervals are bad news (but this is true for many databases not just PG).

> but even after the ROLLBACK (and even after closing
> the second DB connection), the pages weren't reclaimed on the next VACUUM

Plain VACUUM doesn't try very hard to shorten the table physically, so
that's not surprising either.  But the internal free space should get
picked up at this point.

This does not strike me as an explanation for ongoing bloat.  There
are always going to be a few tuples not immediately reclaimable, but
normally that just factors in as part of the steady-state overhead.
Your VACUUM VERBOSE traces showed

DETAIL:  2 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.
DETAIL:  1 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.

so you're not having any major problem with not-yet-removable rows.

So I'm still pretty baffled :-(

            regards, tom lane

Re: index bloat

От
"David Esposito"
> Plain VACUUM doesn't try very hard to shorten the table physically, so
> that's not surprising either.  But the internal free space should get
> picked up at this point.
>
> This does not strike me as an explanation for ongoing bloat.  There
> are always going to be a few tuples not immediately reclaimable, but
> normally that just factors in as part of the steady-state overhead.
> Your VACUUM VERBOSE traces showed
>
> DETAIL:  2 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.
> DETAIL:  1 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.
>
> so you're not having any major problem with not-yet-removable rows.
>
> So I'm still pretty baffled :-(

Hmm, if I keep running the following query while the test program is going
(giving it a few iterations to rest between executions), the steady-state
usage of the indexes seems to go up ... it doesn't happen every time you run
the query, but if you do it 10 times, it seems to go up at least once every
few times you run it .. And the usage keeps charging upwards long after the
UPDATE query finishes (at least 3 or 4 iterations afterwards until it levels
off again) ... It would seem like the steady-state should be reached after
the first couple of runs and then never creep up any further because there
should be enough slack in the index, right?

UPDATE bigboy SET creation_date = CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
WHERE creation_date BETWEEN CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - INTERVAL '15 seconds'
AND CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - INTERVAL '5 seconds';

Is there any way to disassemble an index (either through some fancy SQL
query or by running the actual physical file through a tool) to get an idea
on where the slack could be accumulating? like somehow be able to determine
that all of the oldest pages have a 0.01% population?

At this point I realize I'm grasping at straws and you're welcome to give up
on my problem at any time ... you've given it a good run ... :-)

-dave

Re: index bloat

Дата:
"David Esposito" <pgsql-general@esposito.newnetco.com> writes:
> Hmm, if I keep running the following query while the test program is going
> (giving it a few iterations to rest between executions), the steady-state
> usage of the indexes seems to go up ... it doesn't happen every time you run
> the query, but if you do it 10 times, it seems to go up at least once every
> few times you run it .. And the usage keeps charging upwards long after the
> UPDATE query finishes (at least 3 or 4 iterations afterwards until it levels
> off again) ... It would seem like the steady-state should be reached after
> the first couple of runs and then never creep up any further because there
> should be enough slack in the index, right?

> UPDATE bigboy SET creation_date = CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
> WHERE creation_date BETWEEN CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - INTERVAL '15 seconds'
> AND CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - INTERVAL '5 seconds';

Hmm, this is preferentially touching stuff near the right end of the
index, ie, it's going to bloat the pages associated with higher keys.
As I understand your usage of these indexes, pages generally only get
reclaimed off the left end (as records get old enough to be moved to
archival storage).  So if you were to repeat this test for long enough
for the data to cycle all the way through the table and out again
(50 days in your real-world usage) then the extra space would be
evenly distributed and the usage would reach a steady state.

The testing I've been doing so far involves UPDATEs that touch a
uniformly distributed subset of the table --- maybe that's the aspect
that is failing to match your reality.  Do you mostly update
recently-added rows?  Can you quantify the effect at all?

> Is there any way to disassemble an index (either through some fancy SQL
> query or by running the actual physical file through a tool) to get an idea
> on where the slack could be accumulating?

No such code exists AFAIK, though the idea is sounding pretty attractive
at the moment ;-).  You could get some crude numbers by adding debug
printouts to btbulkdelete() ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: index bloat

От