Обсуждение: About unsigned smallint?

About unsigned smallint?

От
Ying Lu
Дата:
Greetings,

Can I know whether postgreSQL 8.0 supports unsigned smallint please? I
looked at the doc, it seems that OID is unsigned interger. While I was
trying to create a simple table as:
      create table test (id unsigned smallint);
                             or
      create table test (id smallint unsigned);

It seems that postgreSQL did not support unsigned integer?

Thanks a lot,
Emi

Re: About unsigned smallint?

От
Dawid Kuroczko
Дата:
On 7/6/05, Ying Lu <ying_lu@cs.concordia.ca> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Can I know whether postgreSQL 8.0 supports unsigned smallint please? I
> looked at the doc, it seems that OID is unsigned interger. While I was
> trying to create a simple table as:
>       create table test (id unsigned smallint);
>                              or
>       create table test (id smallint unsigned);
>
> It seems that postgreSQL did not support unsigned integer?

Well, PostgreSQL doesn't have "unsigned" types, unless you create
your own.  If you want to have unsigned type, you can add a check
constraint or, even better, create a domain:

CREATE DOMAIN usmallint AS smallint CHECK (VALUE >= 0);

...while this gives you unsinged smallint type, its probably not
what you wanted.  If you wanted a type which takes two bytes of
storage and stores values from 0 to 65535 then, well... its not it.

If you ask here, you'll probably get a good explanation why there
aren't unsinged types.  My guess is that unsigned types add
complexity which is not really judged by their usefullness, but
thats only a guess.

If you need unsigned-like type for data consistency reasons, just
CREATE DOMAIN as shown above.

  Regards,
      Dawid

Re: About unsigned smallint?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:30:52PM +0200, Dawid Kuroczko wrote:

> If you ask here, you'll probably get a good explanation why there
> aren't unsinged types.  My guess is that unsigned types add
> complexity which is not really judged by their usefullness, but
> thats only a guess.

Yeah, they are against the SQL standard apparently; and we've got enough
problems with cross-datatype coercion that there's not much interest in
making it worse by adding more types.

"Some men are heterosexual, and some are bisexual, and some
men don't think about sex at all... they become lawyers" (Woody Allen)

Re: About unsigned smallint?

Дата:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:30:52PM +0200, Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
>> If you ask here, you'll probably get a good explanation why there
>> aren't unsinged types.

> Yeah, they are against the SQL standard apparently;

Not so much "against it" as "not in it" ... which means that if you want
such a feature, you need to actively convince people of its merits.

> and we've got enough
> problems with cross-datatype coercion that there's not much interest in
> making it worse by adding more types.

That was the main reason for rejecting such proposals a few releases ago.
It's possible that our subsequent cleanups in the coercion mechanisms
would make this a feasible idea now.  But I haven't investigated
closely, and I don't believe anyone else has either.

The short answer is definitely that it would take more work than anyone
has so far cared to commit.

            regards, tom lane