Обсуждение: Replication

Replication

От
Jeffery Reedy
Дата:
I have been searching for the ability for replication between postgresql database servers. Many of the solutions That I have seen either work only un*x or requires an expensive commercial license. I am looking something rather short term and maybe for a long term solution.

I came across this project which is Java based:

Has anybody used this particular piece of software? And if so what do they think of it?

Thanks,

Jeffery

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Replication

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 22:54:59 -0700,
  Jeffery Reedy <mojoscoobydoo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have been searching for the ability for replication between postgresql database servers. Many of the solutions That
Ihave seen either work only un*x or requires an expensive commercial license. I am looking something rather short term
andmaybe for a long term solution.

I am not familiar with daffodil, but if you are interested in a free
replication system, you should at least take a look at Slony.

Re: Replication

От
brew@theMode.com
Дата:
Jeffery.....

> I have been searching for the ability for replication between postgresql
> database servers. Many of the solutions That I have seen either work
> only un*x or requires an expensive commercial license. I am looking
> something rather short term and maybe for a long term solution.

If you don't actually need replication, and your database isn't huge, you
could instead just keep a backup server.  You could simply do an automated
pg_dumpall once a day (for instance), followed by an automated ftp,
followed by an automatic load into the backup database.

Guess you'd set it up as a service on windows, under *nix I use ssl rsync
and cron.  In the event I have to use my backup website server at another
location (only once, so far) it's read only and only up to date from the
night before.  But it's better than a nonworking website.

Of course I have a way to redirect the web requests, too.

Actually, now that I think about it, I put this together for my own use,
in my spare time, using machines I had available already.  If I had to do
it for a client I would do it right (with replication, load sharing,
etc.).

This is one way to keep it simple, but it might not meet your needs,
though.

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
  Check out my Stock Option Covered Call website  http://www.callpix.com