Обсуждение: PostgreSQL Client Aplications ?

PostgreSQL Client Aplications ?

От
Zlatko Matić
Дата:
Hello.

Till now I've been working with Postgres only through pgAdminIII. Postgres is installed on WIndows XP.
Now I need to use pg_dumpall. I have found folder with different Postgres aplications, placed in C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin.
When I double-click on any of them, I am prompted for password, but I can't input anything (!?). The cursor is blinking but no text apears as I'm typing.
What's wrong ?
Is there any other way for starting/executing those programs, such as pg_dumpall ?

Thanks.

Re: PostgreSQL Client Aplications ?

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Zlatko Matić wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Till now I've been working with Postgres only through pgAdminIII.
> Postgres is installed on WIndows XP. Now I need to use pg_dumpall. I
> have found folder with different Postgres aplications, placed in
> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin. When I double-click on any of
> them, I am prompted for password, but I can't input anything (!?).
> The cursor is blinking but no text apears as I'm typing. What's wrong
> ? Is there any other way for starting/executing those programs, such
> as pg_dumpall ?

They're command-line programs. You should run them from a command-prompt
window.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: PostgreSQL Client Aplications ?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 10:55, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Zlatko Matić wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Till now I've been working with Postgres only through pgAdminIII.
> > Postgres is installed on WIndows XP. Now I need to use pg_dumpall. I
> > have found folder with different Postgres aplications, placed in
> > C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin. When I double-click on any of
> > them, I am prompted for password, but I can't input anything (!?).
> > The cursor is blinking but no text apears as I'm typing. What's wrong
> > ? Is there any other way for starting/executing those programs, such
> > as pg_dumpall ?
>
> They're command-line programs. You should run them from a command-prompt
> window.

Assuming they are starting their own window here, it is NORMAL for
secure applications to NOT echo back output when you are typing in your
keyboard.  This lack of feedback is for security reasons.  It should be
accepting the password.  Does the terminal respond when you hit enter?

Re: PostgreSQL Client Aplications ?

От
David Siebert
Дата:
Richard Huxton wrote:
> Zlatko Matić wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> Till now I've been working with Postgres only through pgAdminIII.
>> Postgres is installed on WIndows XP. Now I need to use pg_dumpall. I
>> have found folder with different Postgres aplications, placed in
>> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin. When I double-click on any of
>> them, I am prompted for password, but I can't input anything (!?).
>> The cursor is blinking but no text apears as I'm typing. What's wrong
>> ? Is there any other way for starting/executing those programs, such
>> as pg_dumpall ?
>

> They're command-line programs. You should run them from a command-prompt
> window.

Get a command prompt. If you do not know how go to your start menu and
run cmd
cd to the directory that has the file. If you do not know how to do that
  type CD progra<tab>\posge<tab>\8.0\bin
<tab> means hit the tab key and it will complete the name for you.
then pg_dumpall >backup.sql <enter>
and it should create a file called backup.sql but to be honest I do not
use postgres under Windows. Windows is okay for clients but I find it
messy for servers.