Обсуждение: To SPAM or not to SPAM...

To SPAM or not to SPAM...

От
Wes
Дата:
It seems that for some time this list has been mirrored to Usenet without
changing the originating email addresses.  Since Usenet is spammers Nirvana,
that one little act results in everyone that posts to the postgres lists
becoming SPAM fodder.

Can something not be changed in the mailinglist-Usnet gateway such that the
originating email addresses are either removed or scrambled so that posting
to the mailing list doesn't result in your email address being plastered all
over Usenet?  People that intentionally post to Usenet generally don't use a
replyable email address.

Wes

Re: To SPAM or not to SPAM...

От
Geoffrey
Wes wrote:
> It seems that for some time this list has been mirrored to Usenet without
> changing the originating email addresses.  Since Usenet is spammers Nirvana,
> that one little act results in everyone that posts to the postgres lists
> becoming SPAM fodder.
>
> Can something not be changed in the mailinglist-Usnet gateway such that the
> originating email addresses are either removed or scrambled so that posting
> to the mailing list doesn't result in your email address being plastered all
> over Usenet?  People that intentionally post to Usenet generally don't use a
> replyable email address.

It's not going to save you anything.  If you post to a list such as
this, there are archives of the posts that the spammers can get at just
as easily as Usenet.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Re: To SPAM or not to SPAM...

От
Steve Atkins
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:56:16PM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> Wes wrote:
> >It seems that for some time this list has been mirrored to Usenet without
> >changing the originating email addresses.  Since Usenet is spammers
> >Nirvana,
> >that one little act results in everyone that posts to the postgres lists
> >becoming SPAM fodder.
> >
> >Can something not be changed in the mailinglist-Usnet gateway such that the
> >originating email addresses are either removed or scrambled so that posting
> >to the mailing list doesn't result in your email address being plastered
> >all
> >over Usenet?  People that intentionally post to Usenet generally don't use
> >replyable email address.
>
> It's not going to save you anything.  If you post to a list such as
> this, there are archives of the posts that the spammers can get at just
> as easily as Usenet.

And trolling usenet for email addresses went out years ago. It was
primarily web spiders for a while, and they're still pretty big, but
email borne viruses, dictionary attacks and chinese menu address
generation are the most effective approach these days. Oh, and domain
registration information, of course.

Cheers,
  Steve

Re: To SPAM or not to SPAM...

От
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Дата:
I post to this list occasionally, and yet get maybe one spam email a month.
YMMV.  Don't tell anyone, but I got a line on a great deal in Nigeria.

Rick

pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 06/07/2005 09:56:16 PM:

> Wes wrote:
> > It seems that for some time this list has been mirrored to Usenet
without
> > changing the originating email addresses.  Since Usenet is spammers
Nirvana,
> > that one little act results in everyone that posts to the postgres
lists
> > becoming SPAM fodder.
> >
> > Can something not be changed in the mailinglist-Usnet gateway such that
the
> > originating email addresses are either removed or scrambled so that
posting
> > to the mailing list doesn't result in your email address being
plastered all
> > over Usenet?  People that intentionally post to Usenet generally don't
use a
> > replyable email address.
>
> It's not going to save you anything.  If you post to a list such as
> this, there are archives of the posts that the spammers can get at just
> as easily as Usenet.
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey

Re: To SPAM or not to SPAM...

От
Shelby Cain
Дата:
--- Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com wrote:

> I post to this list occasionally, and yet get maybe one spam email a
> month.
> YMMV.  Don't tell anyone, but I got a line on a great deal in
> Nigeria.
>
> Rick

I posted on this list with this yahoo.com address and now receive
upwards of 30-40 spam emails per day.  I was more than slightly
irritated to see that whoever operates the list<->usenet gateway
doesn't bother to obfuscate our email addresses.

Fortunately, yahoo's spam filter correctly categorizes 99% of the
incoming spam properly and places it in the bulk mail folder but this
account used to only receive maybe 5 spam emails a month.

Regards,

Shelby Cain

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail