Обсуждение: Password authentication failed for user

Password authentication failed for user

От
Robert Fitzpatrick
Дата:
I have a database that is used every day for the past year and all of a
sudden, this morning, I get a report that a user cannot login. I have
doubled checked the pg_hba.conf file, which has not been changed in
several months. But only this one user even after resetting the
password, any other user works fine and if I update the pg_hba.conf file
to trust that user, it works. What can cause this? I don't know if I
should post by pg_hba.conf file here, but like I said, nothing has
changed in several months and this problem just appeared today.

--
Robert

Re: Password authentication failed for user

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 11:17:52AM -0400, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:

> I have a database that is used every day for the past year and all of a
> sudden, this morning, I get a report that a user cannot login. I have
> doubled checked the pg_hba.conf file, which has not been changed in
> several months. But only this one user even after resetting the
> password, any other user works fine and if I update the pg_hba.conf file
> to trust that user, it works. What can cause this? I don't know if I
> should post by pg_hba.conf file here, but like I said, nothing has
> changed in several months and this problem just appeared today.

Apparently something has changed -- the question is what?  If nothing
on the server, what about on the user's machine?  When was the last
time it was known for certain to have worked?

What method were you using before you changed it to "trust"?  If
you change it back, can you log in as the user from someplace that
works for other users?  Can the user in question log in as any other
user from wherever his or her own account is failing?  What error
shows up in the server's logs?

Are you restricting logins by IP address?  If so, has the user's
IP address changed?

It might be useful to see the contents of pg_hba.conf.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/