Обсуждение: Clustering

Clustering

От
Patrick Haugen
Дата:
I haven't found any information on clustering with PostgreSQL.

One idea we've been tossing around is through PostgreSQL you can
create a function that does something when something else happens.

Pseudo code:
When databse xyz table companyname is updated update the same table
and rows in database abc;

So each time an update is made, the server performs the function.  So
every update is essentially 1xN updates (N is the number of servers),
but is all done at the server level so should be fast.

Now the problem with that solution is if a server db/table gets
updated and when it is sending that same update over the net to the
offsite cluster, the server crashes. That update technically went
through, however the record of it is lost.

What is a good clustering technique for PostgreSQL?

~PatHaugen

Re: Clustering

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 13:59, Patrick Haugen wrote:
> I haven't found any information on clustering with PostgreSQL.
>
> One idea we've been tossing around is through PostgreSQL you can
> create a function that does something when something else happens.
>
> Pseudo code:
> When databse xyz table companyname is updated update the same table
> and rows in database abc;
>
> So each time an update is made, the server performs the function.  So
> every update is essentially 1xN updates (N is the number of servers),
> but is all done at the server level so should be fast.
>
> Now the problem with that solution is if a server db/table gets
> updated and when it is sending that same update over the net to the
> offsite cluster, the server crashes. That update technically went
> through, however the record of it is lost.
>
> What is a good clustering technique for PostgreSQL?

Something that pretty much does that with the help of a couple of
external daemons is the slony project.

http://slony.info

Re: Clustering

От
Karsten Hilbert
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 11:59:59AM -0700, Patrick Haugen wrote:

> Pseudo code:
> When databse xyz table companyname is updated update the same table
> and rows in database abc;
> What is a good clustering technique for PostgreSQL?

Slony-I.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: Clustering

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 11:59:59AM -0700, Patrick Haugen wrote:
>

>>Pseudo code:
>>When databse xyz table companyname is updated update the same table
>>and rows in database abc;

>>What is a good clustering technique for PostgreSQL?
>

> Slony-I.

Slony-I isn't clustering. They would have to look at pgCluster or
something like that.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Karsten

Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting

Re: Clustering

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 14:54, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 11:59:59AM -0700, Patrick Haugen wrote:
> >

> >>Pseudo code:
> >>When databse xyz table companyname is updated update the same table
> >>and rows in database abc;

> >>What is a good clustering technique for PostgreSQL?
> >

> > Slony-I.
>
> Slony-I isn't clustering. They would have to look at pgCluster or
> something like that.

True.  But the description of what the OP wanted to do, slony sounded
like what he was after.

Re: Clustering

От
Karsten Hilbert
Дата:
> Slony-I isn't clustering. They would have to look at pgCluster or
> something like that.
Sure but it seemed to fit their description of what they
wanted to do.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: Clustering

От
Patrick Haugen
Дата:
From the title alone, "pgCluster" sounded like the perfect choice for
PostgreSQL clustering.

However on their homepage they provide very little information is a
rough english traslation from what it sounds like. Also:

http://pgcluster.projects.postgresql.org/feature.html

What happens when the load balancer or replicator goes down? Doesn't
seem completly stable to me unless I'm missing something. Does anyone
have experience with this?

slony1 seems to cut out the balancer and replicator and leave the
fallover on server crash for you to figure out. I'm liking the sound
of this, however again it's tough to find decent readups on the
workings of this program.

I found this PDF:
http://developer.postgresql.org/~wieck/slony1/Slony-I-concept.pdf

Provided interesting information, however I'm wondering does anyone
know a site that explains it more? Know of any more online writeups in
PDF format? Most importantly, anyone have good experience with this?

Thanks for the info,
~PatHaugen