Обсуждение: LWM 2004 Readers' Choice Nomination

LWM 2004 Readers' Choice Nomination

От
rdiamond@sys-con.com

A copy of your registration form is provided below for your records:

The following data was entered into our database on March 24, 2005 at 09:06 AM

Product  = PostgreSQL
Company = PostgreSQL Org
Listing Description  =
Title        = PostgreSQL
Contact      = www.postgresql.org
Phone Number      = 55555555555
Fax Number =
Web Site     = http://www.postgresql.org/
Type         = Best Linux Database
Address        = any street
Address2       =
City    = anytown
State     =
Zip Code         = 012345
Country        =
E-Mail Address       = pgsql-general@postgresql.org

Thank you for registering!

http://www.sys-con.com/linux/readerschoice2004

Re: LWM 2004 Readers' Choice Nomination

От
"Ed L."
Дата:
On Thursday March 24 2005 7:07, rdiamond@sys-con.com wrote:
> Thank you for registering!
>
> http://www.sys-con.com/linux/readerschoice2004

Curiously, I see PostgreSQL is not even on the ballot I see at
the site above for Best Linux Database ... could be a browser
config issue, but I do see the other popular linux dbs listed...

Ed

Re: LWM 2004 Readers' Choice Nomination

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 11:03 -0700, Ed L. wrote:
> On Thursday March 24 2005 7:07, rdiamond@sys-con.com wrote:
> > Thank you for registering!
> >
> > http://www.sys-con.com/linux/readerschoice2004
>
> Curiously, I see PostgreSQL is not even on the ballot I see at
> the site above for Best Linux Database ... could be a browser
> config issue, but I do see the other popular linux dbs listed...

I don't see PostgreSQL either. That seems very odd as we are the second
widest used OSS database on Linux.

> Ed

Command Prompt, Inc., Your PostgreSQL solutions company. 503-667-4564
Custom programming, 24x7 support, managed services, and hosting
Open Source Authors: plPHP, pgManage, Co-Authors: plPerlNG
Reliable replication, Mammoth Replicator - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: LWM 2004 Readers' Choice Nomination

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, pgsql@bluepolka.net ("Ed L.") wrote:
> On Thursday March 24 2005 7:07, rdiamond@sys-con.com wrote:
>> Thank you for registering!
>>
>> http://www.sys-con.com/linux/readerschoice2004
>
> Curiously, I see PostgreSQL is not even on the ballot I see at
> the site above for Best Linux Database ... could be a browser
> config issue, but I do see the other popular linux dbs listed...

There's nothing curious about it.

PostgreSQL isn't paying them any advertising dollars, and isn't a
"commercial product" that people pay dollars for.

If you review the items on the "ballot," you'll find a virtually
complete absence of "free software" on the list of products for people
to vote for.

This particular poll isn't about "open source" or "free software;" it
is about what are the most popular _commercial products_ for Linux.

_Pervasive PostgreSQL_ or _Mammoth PostgreSQL_ would be the relevant
_products_ to suggest, not the "free software" database, PostgreSQL.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/internet.html

Re: LWM 2004 Readers' Choice Nomination

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 11:03 -0700, Ed L. wrote:
>> On Thursday March 24 2005 7:07, rdiamond@sys-con.com wrote:
>> > Thank you for registering!
>> >
>> > http://www.sys-con.com/linux/readerschoice2004
>>
>> Curiously, I see PostgreSQL is not even on the ballot I see at
>> the site above for Best Linux Database ... could be a browser
>> config issue, but I do see the other popular linux dbs listed...
>
> I don't see PostgreSQL either. That seems very odd as we are the
> second widest used OSS database on Linux.

The poll isn't about "OSS"; it's a popularity contest for proprietary
software that runs on Linux.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'gmail.com';
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lisp.html

Re: LWM 2004 Readers' Choice Nomination

От
Robin Ericsson
Дата:
Christopher Browne wrote:
> The poll isn't about "OSS"; it's a popularity contest for proprietary
> software that runs on Linux.

It's interesting to see that MySQL is only third at the moment.

regards,
    Robin

Re: LWM 2004 Readers' Choice Nomination

От
Robert Diamond
Дата:
You may add a product to the awards at:
http://www.sys-con.com/linux/readerschoice2004/addentry.cfm

Best Regards,

Robert

TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command   (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: LWM 2004 Readers' Choice Nomination

От
Kevin Murphy
Дата:
On Mar 28, 2005, at 1:40 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I don't see PostgreSQL either. That seems very odd as we are the second
> widest used OSS database on Linux.

Yeah, they might as well just put up a graph of advertising dollars by
database instead of these poll results ;-)

Kevin Murphy