Обсуждение: create temp table and on commit in 7.3.3

create temp table and on commit in 7.3.3

От
Antony Paul
Дата:
Hi all,
    This is giving error in 7.3.3.

 CREATE TEMP TABLE temptest3(col int PRIMARY KEY) ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS;
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "ON" at character 51

Is this supported.

rgds
Antony Paul

Re: create temp table and on commit in 7.3.3

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 10:48 +0530, Antony Paul wrote:
> Hi all,
>     This is giving error in 7.3.3.
>
>  CREATE TEMP TABLE temptest3(col int PRIMARY KEY) ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS;
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "ON" at character 51
>
> Is this supported.

No. Looking at the manual would have made it pretty obvious this was
added in 7.4

-Neil

Re: create temp table and on commit in 7.3.3

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 06:00:52PM +1100, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 10:48 +0530, Antony Paul wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >     This is giving error in 7.3.3.
> >
> >  CREATE TEMP TABLE temptest3(col int PRIMARY KEY) ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS;
> > ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "ON" at character 51
> >
> > Is this supported.
>
> No. Looking at the manual would have made it pretty obvious this was
> added in 7.4

The 7.3 and 7.2 documentation for CREATE TABLE both mention ON COMMIT:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/sql-createtable.html#SQL-CREATETABLE-COMPATIBILITY
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.2/static/sql-createtable.html#SQL-CREATETABLE-COMPATIBILITY

Should those versions describe ON COMMIT if they don't support it?

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: create temp table and on commit in 7.3.3

От
Antony Paul
Дата:
I  learned that there is an on commit clause by looking at the
Compaitiblity section of the 7.3.3 docs and I was confused whether it
is supporting this or not

rgds
Antony Paul

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 00:19:41 -0700, Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 06:00:52PM +1100, Neil Conway wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 10:48 +0530, Antony Paul wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >     This is giving error in 7.3.3.
> > >
> > >  CREATE TEMP TABLE temptest3(col int PRIMARY KEY) ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS;
> > > ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "ON" at character 51
> > >
> > > Is this supported.
> >
> > No. Looking at the manual would have made it pretty obvious this was
> > added in 7.4
>
> The 7.3 and 7.2 documentation for CREATE TABLE both mention ON COMMIT:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/sql-createtable.html#SQL-CREATETABLE-COMPATIBILITY
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.2/static/sql-createtable.html#SQL-CREATETABLE-COMPATIBILITY
>
> Should those versions describe ON COMMIT if they don't support it?
>
> --
> Michael Fuhr
> http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: create temp table and on commit in 7.3.3

Дата:
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> The 7.3 and 7.2 documentation for CREATE TABLE both mention ON COMMIT:

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/sql-createtable.html#SQL-CREATETABLE-COMPATIBILITY
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.2/static/sql-createtable.html#SQL-CREATETABLE-COMPATIBILITY

> Should those versions describe ON COMMIT if they don't support it?

That section is describing features that are in the spec that we don't
support (or didn't then support).

            regards, tom lane

Re: create temp table and on commit in 7.3.3

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 03:40:49PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> > The 7.3 and 7.2 documentation for CREATE TABLE both mention ON COMMIT:
>
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/sql-createtable.html#SQL-CREATETABLE-COMPATIBILITY
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.2/static/sql-createtable.html#SQL-CREATETABLE-COMPATIBILITY
>
> > Should those versions describe ON COMMIT if they don't support it?
>
> That section is describing features that are in the spec that we don't
> support (or didn't then support).

Ah, right...just above there I see this:

"The CREATE TABLE conforms to SQL92 Intermediate and to a subset of
SQL99, with exceptions listed below and in the descriptions above."

Sorry about that.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/